Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

How long does it take to actually feel some what normal.

I had my spinal fusion L4-S1 on November 23. It's been a HUGE struggle since the surgery. I was in the hospital for 4 days. I came home and literally 3 days after coming home I go back in the hospital for pneumonia. I stay 3 more days in the hospital . I'm home now but I feel more pain than I felt before my surgery. Before I had low back pain and left leg weakness and pain. Now I'm having both leg Pain and weakness and I'm having issues with some incontince. I'm 38 years old and I'm dealing with all these issues. Please someone give me some advice. I know it's only been a few weeks since the surgery but I feel I made a huge mistake. This all seems like a nightmare. My children have to see their mom like this it breaks their heart and my own. I just can't imagine myself like this long term.
Jaime
advertisement

Comments

• Sheri76Sheri76 Michigan Posts: 506
    Hey Jamie....sorry to see you're suffering so....I didn't have any children to take care of at the time of my lumbar surgery, but I can imagine that adds so much more stress if you don't have others to help and give the support you and they need, not sure if you do. If not, I would try and find someone you could trust and rely on, for your children and your own ease of recovery.

Also, was your surgery posterior, from the back? Mine was, and it takes quite a bit of time to feel like your moving around somewhat good, everything tends to seem difficult and painful.....just part of recovering, but trying to do things instead of resting or walking, can make things worse.

If your concerned things are worse than should be, I wouldn't hesitate to call your surgeons office, their help is also part of your recovery.

The surgery is very emotionally taxing, sharing those feelings with your Dr wouldn't hurt either, getting easily depressed after surgery is normal I think, but you have to be careful, and ask for help if you need it.

Hope you start feeling less alien to your body, and more like yourself....it does take time, but it will happen....one day at a time.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 10,045
    Any spinal surgery takes its time to properly heal. In reality, you are a babe in arms when it comes to time out of surgery.
    I am also sure that the pneumonia through your timetable off a bit.

Take a look at this Recovery the Most important phase
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • hvillshhvills Suzhou, ChinaPosts: 791
    Dear Jaime...

I can definitely relate to your struggle...

On my second fusion surgery (PLIF L5-S1) I woke up with ALL the nerve pain and MORE than before the surgery. I kept asking my doctor what went wrong and he says everything is fine... "it just takes time".... not very comforting to hear. Then 10 days after the surgery I got a severe infection in the side of my right hip (don't ask me how?) and I was back in the hospital for another week. The pain and discomfort was unbearable... even with daily pain meds (Oxycodone) it was hard to tolerate. In total it was 4 months before the nerve pain went away and I started to feel half way like a whole human being again. Hopefully you will do better than me... and be back in full swing soon. But trust me... for sure there is light at the end of the tunnel.
    Harry - 63 year old male...
    PLIF L4-L5-S1 due to disc degeneration... May 23, 2013
    PLIF L5-S1 due to failed fusion and broken screw... Jan 19, 2015
    Microdiscectomy, decompression L3-L4 due to herniated disc... Jan 19, 2015
  • Thanks everyone for taking the time and respondimg. My husband works 12 hour shifts so he's hardly home. I try to do most things myself to get my strength back but it's really hard. I guess everything takes time to heal. My doctor ordered another MRI to hopefully find out why both of my legs are acting up. I just really hope that there is a light at the end of this tunnel and by next year I'll be in my back yard gardening and doing all the things I've enjoyed doing before.
    Jaime
  • Be careful! Baby steps determined one!
  • gfishggfish Pittsburgh PAPosts: 165
    Relax and only do what your doctor tells you. It will take some time to heal and get better
    Greg fisher
advertisement