Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New pain after L4L5 ALIF

Ok, so I understand this may sound strange, but humor me please! I had a single level ALIF at the L4L5 on November 24th, so I am about 3.5 weeks post-op. My recovery was going along fairly well, and although I had pain, I felt as though it was more surgical pain and that a lot of my pre-op pains were gone. Last night I was laying in bed on my right size and I sneezed twice. About 10 minutes later I went to roll over and all of the sudden had new pain. I continued rolling onto my left side so I could log roll out of bed and as soon as I stood up I had more new pain. I went to the bathroom and was taking out my contacts and had a twinge of pain that made my knees buckle. The pain is still with me tonight. It feels lower than my fusion point (although I can't really tell exactly) and travels down into my legs. It's not an unbearable pain, but rather an uncomfortable nagging pain. So, I'm feeling a little heartbroken today thinking something is messed up again. Any similar experiences? Any advice?
advertisement

Comments

• hvillshhvills Suzhou, ChinaPosts: 790
    You are only 3.5 weeks post op from a MAJOR surgery... it's perfectly normal to feel lots of nagging/surprising "new pains" at different stages of your recovery. There was/is lots of trauma to your insides and its all trying to heal and find the new normal. I'm sure your surgeon did a great job and you will continue to heal and improve as the weeks go by. Just don't get over anxious or over do it... recovery is a longgggg road. If you are still worried about your latest pains call your doctor.
    Harry - 63 year old male...
    PLIF L4-L5-S1 due to disc degeneration... May 23, 2013
    PLIF L5-S1 due to failed fusion and broken screw... Jan 19, 2015
    Microdiscectomy, decompression L3-L4 due to herniated disc... Jan 19, 2015
  • I appreciate the response! Fortunately, my 4 week follow-up with my doctor is on Monday so I can discuss my concerns with him. It's just so odd that I was progressing quite nicely and then had this new pain come (seemingly) out of nowhere. The discs at the levels above and below my fusion are not perfect, but my doctor was confident that my pain was coming from the L4L5 disc and he did not want to take the aggressive approach of fusing all 3 levels at my age (31). So, I have concerns that maybe those other discs are actually causing me pain, or that I'm going to injure one of them since they are already weaker. It's just a mess! Do you know what a doctor generally orders at the first follow-up appointment after a fusion in terms of providing him a visual? Is it usually just an x-ray?
  • hvillshhvills Suzhou, ChinaPosts: 790
    Yes... an X-ray is all he should really need to see. If he sees something there that bothers him he may order other types of images. Good luck with your follow-up...

Harry - 63 year old male...
    PLIF L4-L5-S1 due to disc degeneration... May 23, 2013
    PLIF L5-S1 due to failed fusion and broken screw... Jan 19, 2015
    Microdiscectomy, decompression L3-L4 due to herniated disc... Jan 19, 2015