Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pain medication does not help muscle/tussue pain

I went to a new Pain clinic this past week trying to get some help for the pain in the lower back, hip, butt, upper leg and groin all on the left side.
After some very painful pulls, presses and twists in the exam the decision was that I do not need to take pain medication at all. The statement was "pain medications do not help muscle/tissue pain. I have seen a few doctors and had different diagnosis but never that and they could be right about the muscle being my problem. I am having a hard time with the part about the pain medication that I guess it is all in my head and some other Doctors too.
Hum so I guess I am taking this pain medication for nothing right?
Does anyone else on here take pain medication for muscle/tissue issues?
I want to do whatever which I have in the past to try to find some relief and have never been one to like taking pain medication but it is a huge tool when you have used and still do several of the other tools with no relief.
I hope this makes sense I don't want to get into the pain medication thing just about the use for that type of health issues.
Appreciate any input I can get.
Thanks so much

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,427
    I recently started taking baclofen for muscle cramping, mostly thighs, calf area and sole of my feet and toes.
    My lower spine seems to also have ...like cramping, I really don't know how to describe it.
    Doctor says I have quite a bit of fibrous tissue there due to injury.

As with all my meds, it does help to take the edge off...lessening the cramping and lessening the pain.
    Seems to help my lower back pain ...But with all my pain going on, I have hard time with overall knowing.
    And I've only been on it about about a month.

I'm not sure if that relates to what mean...but thought I'd mention it.
    I look forward to other response you receive or any more information you discover!
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• I hope that drug works for you, it is so great when you find something to help. I have tried that one before with no relief I don't know what it is about me but I have tried so many difference kinds of medications in all categories and either have serious side effects or they don't help. Now my stomach is so screwed up from it all that just adds to the challenge of finding the right combination to help. I have tried Gabapentin and many others up to three times praying they would work.
    I have had those same type of pains for years plus the sciatica, lower/upper back pain but this new pain over the past couple of years is different it is just never ending and makes life hell. I went to a doctor and he said he felt it was SI too since I had done research on here and other places it pretty much matched that. But I had the injections and tests which sorta ruled it out. Now I begged my GP to send me to this Pain Clinic I had checked out and after some very painful tests they said muscles and tissue. I mean I am alright with that it was the statement that pain medication is not needed. I mean why then am I taking it and why does it help. In trying all the tools and only finding relief with ice and pain medications that was hard to swallow. Is it all in my head and really I am terrified that they cut my meds and don't first help me.
    I have posted on here and talked about how I hate talking them and would give anything to not but wow right now just cannot imagine.
    I pray that medication helps you and I appreciate you getting back to me it means a lot.
    Thanks Sherri
  • You will get that response from doctors who have an anti-opioid agenda. You also hear things like pain medicines don't help nerve pain. I have used opioid therapy for the entirety of my treatment which includes nerve pain, muscle pain and tissue pain. Whoever told you that is full of BS and I would move on from that.

I am not saying that you should use opioids because it brings it's own set of problems and one of the other drugs may help you. But if those fail the opioids will in fact work provided you use a large enough dose. But you should leave that doctor because they're giving you incorrect information.

I see no reason for spine health to edit this comment I have not recommended a drug I have only stated the fact that her doctor has provided incorrect information. There is a battle in the world, some people are against opioids and they will pass along inacurate information. It needs to be called out anywhere you see it.

The brother of my Neurosurgeon is a detox doctor so you can imagine his perspective. I am amazed that a person can be so smart in one area while being grossly narrow minded in another. I think I've helped him change his views somewhat. I've been able to keep working through both surgeries and let him know there's no way I could not have done it without pain management and opioids. Don't back down from what you know is right.

Be well.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,832
    There are medications that are designed to help with specific situations.

• Pain medication
      Nerve medication
      Muscle relaxers,
    In any situation, pain medication is going to help . But it might not be the correct medication for the long haul. I am not talking about a few years, but for 5, 10, 15 or 25 years.

If your doctor does not feel that pain medication (narcotics) is the correct choice for your muscle/nerve pain, then what do they suggest?

Almost all medications have their good and bad sides. While they can help you in so many ways, there are potential downfalls. Doctors today are trying to steer people away from those medications with the bigger downfalls. But is that always the correct action? I dont always think so.

But, I have always found that discussing situations like this with your doctor is much better than just dismissing them. And after you talk with them, and their answer does not fit well with you, then by all means look for someone else.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Thanks for your reply and I agree with most of what you said and it reading my posts I would think you know that I am not one for pain medications being the solution. I always have believed if a person isn't or hasn't done all they can to relieve their pain then relying on pain medications is wrong. But if you are one of those who has researched, tried tons of other meds with serious side effects, gotten no clear direction, used all the blend or program to help yourself then what? You say pain medications are not the answer for years of pain I wonder then am I supposed to suffer for the rest of my life like this. The thing is I have suggested to Doctors and begged at times to try procedures or medications a lot several times with no relief.
    A person has a right if they have done it all to have some kind of life period. It angers me to no level that we suffer when we try it all. I have talked to my GP he has tried to help me but does not have the skill level he needs in dealing with Chronic Pain so I will move on again and again.
    I am relieved that you agree with it as a tool to treat muscle and tissue pain. This Clinic was a huge disappointment to me in several areas if they had even stated that once we decrease your pain we will look at your meds but no suggestions what so ever about doing that it was just cut not even looking at tests or anything. I have experienced several of these attitudes and believe me I know why they are doing as they are doing but today I am one of them that is paying the price for others mistakes. I have never just dismissed a Doctor there would be no gain in that I want to understand their decisions so I can make a good call.
    Well I got off track and I really hate I even feel the way I do after such a long struggle so if this does not make sense blame it on the pain and just years of wanting someone to look at the whole picture and give me some ideas of how to help myself.
    I rant when I am like this so anyway thanks Ron like I said I do agree with a lot of what you say and appreciate your support.
  • One of my big issues is muscle spasms especially when I walk more then a block or stand in one place unsupported for more then a few minute. I have tried everything including valium with no help. The two things that have helped decrease the pain is lidocaine ointment and working out 3 times a week on my total gym which allows me strengthen all my muscle including my stomach and back. I think I will always have some muscle spasms just because of what is causing the problem is not fixable. Of course they may come up with some new med that might work someday. I know one thing though without my pain medication I be spending most of the day in bed. My question for you Hope3 is what are those pain doctors saying on what is the cause of the muscle spasms.? There has to be a reason. Something is causing your pain and just saying you have a muscle problem after a few minutes exam and then stating you need no pain medicine even though it's the only thing that helps sound like they very anti opiate medication. Who is prescribing your pain medication now? Meanwhile I would be very interested in what there plan is for you.
  • I want to say how sorry I am for not responding to your support and concern I was going through my posts and noticed I did not reply lately my mind is not doing so hot with the pain, medication, age etc. I get confused it seems. But it is important for me to tell you thanks and say I am so sorry that you are going through what you are. I am so absent minded right now I cannot remember what your issues are but I pray you find some relief and I too hope they find some miracles to help us all down the road.
    My GP does my meds and he has tried to help me but I need a good pain doctor which I am looking for now. I have tried so many types of medications but this new pain over the past two years has got me good not much relief. I have been taking pain meds for years and need to do a drug holiday my tolerance has built up.
    I am not going back there I know my body and it may of course be muscle and tissue to a point but for them to tell me no pain medications when I do everything I can to get relief does not cut it. If they would have said this is the reasons, cause, plan and also we won't cut them until we help you then that may of changed my mind. But the bottom line was it was not about the pain meds it was about the whole thing time spent with me, their attitude on and on. I am at the point where I am going to be super critical of any health care I get or try to learn as much as I can so I can be intelligent in my decisions. I though I was but I just learned so much from others just recently on here.
    I am seeing a doctor now that I had went to before and he thinks it maybe Bursitis so here we go and we will see it never ends round and round.
    Sorry too long but I just wanted to thank you so much for your concern and I pray you find relief.