Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New job drug tests

I will be graduating college shortly and all of the jobs I have been looking into say something to the effect of "must pass a drug test" as one of the qualifications/requirements. I am not taking any medication/drugs other than prescribed (hydrocodone and soma). I am just wondering how this works with people who are prescribed narcotic medication; we obviously wouldn't "pass" a drug test. Are we supposed to inform them that we are prescribed narcotic medication? Would this hold us back from attaining employment? Have any of you encountered this situation?

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,859
    Be up front and let them know
    Last thing you want is to not tell them then the tests come back indicating you are taking narcotics
    That happens that potential job is gone
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    Even doing that they may requires a note from prescribing dr. If you have a legit script it should not show up on the drug screen the employer receives unless it is a job where the meds could cause a liability
  • kelz415kkelz415 Posts: 19
    edited 12/22/2015 - 4:29 PM
    Hello GM12
    I've been a recruiter in corporate organizations for over 10 years and am now in a Director role. Be prepared to provide copies of your prescription to the medical reviewer. After the urine test comes up positive the medical reviewer will contact you to provide the prescriptions before they notify the employer that you failed a drug test. The recruiter will see the results but never disclose this to hiring managers to protect your privacy. You should not worry, just have your prescription back ups and let your recruiter know. They are there to help you as well and protect your privacy.
  • It's pretty much just like everyone else has said. I've had to take a few random drug tests this year. I go through the motions and then someone calls me and tells me I've tested positive for whatever is in my system. I email them a picture of my full name on file, picture of my medications, making sure they can see what type of medication it is, pharmacy and phone number. Also, they have to be able to see the date on the bottle. I always send 2 pictures making sure the bottles blend in proper enough it doesn't look like I'm trying to hide anything. As far as I know they tell my employer I passed. I don't think they are allowed to tell them anything else beyond a pass or a fail. Since I take my medications properly I'm not real sure how the "testing of the levels" is performed. I already have a job though and your case is a little different You are trying to gain employment. I'm not sure how that works since it will be pre-employment testing. In other words I'm not sure with legal prescriptions if you have to let a potential employer know you are on prescription medication. I wasn't when I started working where I do now. I never thought about saying anything to human resources when I started taking prescription medication, but it hasn't been a problem with random drug screens I've had to take this year and H. R. Knows I'm taking something
    Rick Anderson. I live in middle Tennessee. I'm a former pro motocrosser, raced a car on dirt tracks for 5 years, played tennis in high school, now raising 2 kids and enjoying life to the best of my ability :)
  • PlumbTuckeredOutPlumbTuckeredOut Philadelphia, PAPosts: 325
    I've always been upfront on paperwork and noted what will show up in my urine and my doctors' names, phone numbers. I've never had a problem.

Good Luck!

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less traveled by...... (Robert Frost)
    I still don't know if I should have taken the one that said, "Caution! Dead End" (Me)