Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

ACDF - Sharing my experience

mntnfshrmmntnfshr Posts: 2
edited 12/20/2015 - 7:49 PM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello all!
Before my surgery, I did a lot of research and was so thankful to read about the experiences of others on the forum. Now that mine is done, I thought I would post my experience for the benefit of others as well.

F, 40yrs, active lifestyle, c4-c7 discectomy and fusion, non-smoker, don't drink, slightly overweight, overall ok health.
Symptoms before surgery = numbness, tingling, burning in arms and hands and lower left leg, and muscle weakness in left hand/arm. Because of my age and sports, the neurologist and neurosurgeon highly recommended surgery as quickly as possible as the degree of compression in my spinal cord put me at high risk if I should have any kind of accident. Was on significant activity restriction to minimize risk prior to procedure. Was difficult to wrap my head around needing this procedure, and found it a very stressful experience emotionally. Elected to proceed and had surgery within 2.5 weeks. My husband was my primary support and was there for me at every step, helped me with recovery and in keeping my spirits up. Good friends also made a huge difference. The procedure took about 2:45min, stayed one night in the hospital. Had bad reactions to pain meds but eventually they got pain under control. Could dress myself the next day and walk around no problem. When home and sitting, I spent most my time in a recliner as it was the most comfortable (slept in it too). Started going for walks right away and they felt good. Soft-collar was supportive and didn't bother me much - wore it for 4 weeks. No driving for the first 2 weeks. Surgical site pain went away quickly, but the sensation of a lump in my throat was annoying and kept me from sleeping. I still have it on and off now at 9 weeks, and is one of my biggest complaints. Muscle spasms in upper back between shoulder blades persisted for a few weeks, but were managed with a muscle relaxer and now I just use a theracane to massage them away. Used pain meds for first 2 weeks regularly, then really only needed them at night for awhile, and now only use them if I over-do it or something. Started PT at 7 weeks and am reactivating muscles, gaining strength already, have improved range of motion, etc. My job is a desk job and I started back to work part time by week 3 (about 4 hrs per day). Was back up to 8 hrs per day by week 5 (just gradually kept increasing them). The boredom for the first 2 weeks wasn't as bad as I expected - found ways to read and watch TV etc that kept my neck and posture in a good position. Was hard not to do chores or overdo it with activity, but its important to take care of yourself right, and right away. Ate soft foods after surgery for several days, but was able to eat regular food regularly within 2 weeks or so. THe swelling and swallowing difficulties weren't fun, but they eventually got better. Was given about 3 tapers of high dose steriods throughout this whole adventure (including before the surgery), which helped the swelling and symptoms but had plenty of side effects including weight gain and insomnia. Focused nutrition in increasing protein, calcium and my bone growth/fusion is already a month ahead of expectations (nutrition makes a difference!). Scar is about 3.5/4 inches long and looks much better now, though I have fair skin so it is definitely quite obvious. Symptoms at 9 weeks - occasional numbness and tingling in hands but better than before, strength is returning, some stiffness and still a bit challenging to find a good sleeping position, lump in throat. Bonus - soon will be able to get back to fun activities and my spinal cord is free! The prevention of future/further damage was a big motivator.

Hope this helps someone and wish you all the best in managing your health and well-being!

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    Please take the time to read this post and refer to it when you have questions

I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and growing.
    Here are just some of the highlights that are available as tabs on the main Spine-Health menu bar

Spine-Health Main Menu Tabs

Conditions Detailed medical libraries of articles and videos that address almost every spinal condition.
    Treatment List of treatments to the conditions identified by Spine-Health.
    Wellness Section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.
    Medical Articles
    Pain Forums These are the forums you will be using
    Find A Doctor This provides with a method to search for doctors in various locations.
    Videos Index to all Spine-Health Videos

As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here you can meet thousands of people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family[/u] who provide comfort and the advantages of a support system. You are now part of this family that is approximately 27,00 international members and growing daily.

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts[u] do not violate any of the rules.[/u]

- All new members must read our FAQ in order to understand the layout of the forums, how to navigate through the forums, helpful terms, how to make effective threads and posts, plus a link index to many of the important medical forums and key medical articles on Spine-Health Forum FAQ

I am positive any member, new or old will find this Chroinc Pain - Step by Step thread very valuable.

Here are some links that all new members need to review to create effective threads and more

Read before you post
    More Info Tips for Newcomers
    Understanding the rules

All of this will help make your threads better and improve the times and quality of responses you will receive.

You can also find Spine-Health on these Social Networks

Facebook www.facebook.com/spinehealth
    Pinterest http://pinterest.com/spinehealth/boards/
    Twitter https://twitter.com/SpineHealth

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the private message facility to[u] contact any one of the Spine-Health Moderators

Liz -Spine-health Moderator

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery