Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Chronic pain sufferer

I have been on pain meds for a number of years because of back pain and several other problems. I have been taking hydrocodone and oxycodone. My Neurologist, who did my laminectomy and my pain management doctor are supposed to be working together to control my pain. Before my surgery (which was 4 days ago) I got instrctions on post procedure instructions. The neurologist prescribed 60 (10/325) hydrocodone. I had to use extra meds before my surgery because of the extra sciatica pain and since I thought I was going to get the 60 hydros, I was not worried. Well, after surgery I noticed that I would run out in a few days. I sent my wife to get the script and they would not fill it because insurance declined and they said PM cancelled it. Now, I don't know what to do. Please help!

Greg Wardlaw

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,836
    edited 12/22/2015 - 9:57 AM

• - Why did the Pain management doctor cancel the prescription?
      - The neurologist wrote the prescription for your pain medications, then why was the Pain management doctor involved?
      - Did you inform the doctor that you took extra pain medications?
      - Why did the Insurance company deny the medication?
      - How many pills did you have prior to surgery? Who wrote the prescription for it? Surgeon or Pain Management doctor?
    Something doesnt add up here. Doctors are generally not going to cancel any prescription unless they feel there is a legitimate reason to do so.
    That would be the first thing you should clear up. As long as you have been following the recommended dosages, there should be no reason why 1) the doctor would cancel it and 2) the insurance company deny it.

One of the major problems is when situations like this happen (both doctor and insurance company reject the prescription) it is very difficult to get that corrected. Its like you were put on a black list. Once that happens, trust me, it takes a lot to get that removed.

Meanwhile, you are in pain, and from what you posted without any number of pain medications to get you through. There is no easy answer.
    Your best course of action is to talk to your surgeon, since your surgery was only 4 days ago.

I think the biggest problem with pain medications is when patients take more than the prescribed dosage. I understand those situations. There are times when the pain levels increase and you need help. But it is always so very important to discuss this with your doctor before or during the time you need extra medications.

I have been there before and I have discussed the situation with my doctor. The outcome was for them to write a new prescription, small amount, but higher dosage to get my past a problem point .

But right you are in pain and need some relief. Talk this over with your doctors. To me, since your surgery is so fresh, I would start with your surgeon. Normally a surgeon will provide their patients with pain medications for XX amount of weeks after surgery. That could be from 2 to 4 weeks. After that, they stop and have you deal with your other doctors (ie Pain management)

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • My pain doctor and neurosurgeon both prescribed my pain medication after my fusion. I was on my regular pain meds from pain management and different ones from my surgeon. The pain clinic were the ones who referred me to the surgeon and everything worked out fine; I'm surprised this happened to you. Where you prescribed the hydrocodone by both doctors around the same time?
    Ol' Spiney...Microdiscectomy L4-L5, TLIF L4-S1 -post op central disc herniation L4-S1, sciatic nerve damage, retrolisthesis, epidural fibrosis, facet arthropathy, severe DDD & OA.FBSS- Medtronic SynchroMed II pump.