Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Opinions of neuropathic pain relief

Hi everyone,
I'm currently taking codeine and ibuprofen to help with my lower back pain and sciatica in left leg. I've been on and off codeine for about 4 years now, going up in doses and down dependent on how bad my pain has been or between steroid injections. The codeine helps take the edge off my pain, but recently I've been taking the full dose four times a day and it's not budging the pain at all.
I stand on my feet all day in work and everyone is commenting on how much pain I'm in. The trouble is, the codeine makes me drowsy before it takes the pain away. Kinda bad when I need to focus a lot in my job!!
I'm thinking of asking my GP to start some kind of neuropathic pain relief to see if this is any better. My PM did talk about starting me on amitriptyline last year but this never happened...!
What have we all tried? What do we rate them in terms of relief?
Please give me an answer!!! I just want to be free of burning legs!

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,875
    Lyrica (Pregabalin) and Neurontin (Gabapentin) are the classic medications.

I used both, I prefer Neurontin over Lyrica. But if you search and read the many forums talking about this, there seems to be a mix.

They do work, but I have found , as well as others, the classic side effects

• - Weight Gain
      - Drowsiness
      - Memory Loss
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • itsautonomicitsautonomic LouisianaPosts: 1,817
    Cymbalta was a miracle drug for sciatica like symptoms years ago and now noratripatalyine helps my burning pain but I despise the side effects.
    Do your due dilegence, trust you know your body and question everything if it does not fit. Advocate for yourself and you will be suprised what will be revealed trusting your body and instinct.
  • CharliecharlesCharliecharles UKPosts: 29
    edited 12/23/2015 - 1:24 PM
    What kind of side effects are we talking about? Are they worth it for the pain relief?
    I find codeine takes the dull aching pains away but not the burning sensation in my leg. I'm also about to start a new round of physio.
  • itsautonomicitsautonomic LouisianaPosts: 1,817
    edited 12/24/2015 - 5:20 AM
    Barely able to get out of bed, Added ED, which brings added depression, tired all the time, issues with concentration are my biggest . I could never accept these issues , but at this point unfortunately it's worth the relief of burning in my arm and it only relieves a very small part of my pain. It allows me to hold my godchilds hand or touch my girlfriend without so much burning pain in my hand so it's worth it
    Do your due dilegence, trust you know your body and question everything if it does not fit. Advocate for yourself and you will be suprised what will be revealed trusting your body and instinct.
  • I found ambitriptyline made me foggy the next morning so my Doctor prescribed nortriptyline and I tolerated that much better. I've tried Lyrica and Cymbalta for a while but found gabapentin gave me the best nerve pain relief. Because I work during the day, I only take the gabapentin at night and if I didn't my leg would be burning, twitching and keeping me up all night.