Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Foot Surgery Tomorrow

Marti_142MMarti_142 Posts: 62
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Arthritis, Osteoarthritis
I am in the count down to the foot surgery. It is tomorrow at 7;00 A.M. I will have fusions in my toes and a bunion straightened. The hard part will be the crutches for 2 months. Dr said a half cast for 2 weeks and a full cast for 6 more weeks. And no weight bearing for the whole 8 weeks.

Needless to say, today I am stressing over the cleaning, laundry, etc, trying to get it all done up. And on top of that my family will be over for my grandson's birthday party!

Trying to be brave but slowly losing my resolve, Marti

• Just here to wish you all the best in your upcommming surgery. I'm positive everything will go smoothly. If you're anything like my mum (who also has been offered foot fusion for OA) you sooo must take it easy after the op! You really must! No housework or anything, okay!?

Take it easy and thinking about you,

Lyssie xx
  • Hi Lyssie,

Thanks for your encouragement. It means so much to me. I know you are having a hard time with your own pain issues, so you are very sweet to worry about me.

I have no choice but to take it easy. I can't do anything! I am very wobbly on the crutches. I already fell once and am only allowed up when my bf is here to help me. This the first I have even been on the computer. (And I am supposed to be working from home next week.) I have a very heavy cast that goes to my knee. It is hard to drag it around. (Much harder than I thought.) And the wires are sticking out of 3 toes at the end of the cast. So I have to be careful not to bump them. I look like my toes grew antennae! I still have a lot of pain (more than I thought) and am slightly nauseous from the pain killers. But I am so thankful that it is over. Will update later, Marti
  • Sorry you're in quite some pain and feeling sick from the pain killers. The cast sounds heavy to drag around so must be awkward, sorry about that. Glad you're taking it easy, hope you're ok otherwise.

Take care xx
  • Can you draw a bumble-bee on your cast, and use the wires for antennae? I think that would really be great.......and it would give you something to do instead of worrying about housework, and other things that need done! You have to stop and smell the roses.......................who knows, you might run over them with the lawnmower in a few weeks! LOL image:)" alt=">:)" height="20" /> Amazing the pain we can go thru, and still worry about what we "should" be doing! Hope you are having a good day, you deserve it.
  • Two weeks out now from surgery and things are much better. The dr replaced the heavy plaster cast with a very light plastic air cast. And in four more weeks he will pull out the pins. Still, 6 more weeks of the crutches and walker, though. I had to go back to work, although not my choice. And I'm so tired, I could sit down and cry. That's the worst part, this terrible fatigue. Which I guess is from trying to do too much too fast.

Maggie, what a cute idea about the bumble bee! And a good idea to try to worry less about the housework, etc. (That's hard, but I promise to try.) You all take care, now. Marti
  • I'd be interested in hearing more about your experience dealing with the arthritis in your feet. About two years ago I had a toe joint replaced with what I think is a flexible piece of plastic. Not due to arthritis, but from Freiberg's Disease or Syndrome, residual from an injury 35 years ago! It was hurting whenever I walked and since the surgery I have no pain whatsoever. It's wonderful! Now I have arthritis in the big toe of my other foot, probably from compensating all those years. So far it's not too bad but some days it does hurt to walk and sometimes just plain hurts. I may be going back to my podiatrist to see if there's anything he can do. I thought he said he might be able to clean out the joint somehow.
This discussion has been closed.