Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

wish drs. would make up their mind

leocat46lleocat46 Posts: 125
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Can i ask would your dr. suggest surgery. then turn around and send me for P.T.?? i feel like he is prolonging everything. i have waiting from 5-28th , the day i found out had herniated c5/6 . but have had problems, and pain, etc. last 1 1/2 yrs. very discouraged, but starting p.t. tomorrow morning as told too. i feel like it will not do me any good. I have developed new symptom lately, sharp pain in rib on left side up high, wraps around my back. is it due to my neck also. degenerative disc at c3/4 also, bone spurs, :? how will this all help? so i say why do some drs. change their mind. ? thanks LEO :?

• Your doctor might just be making sure he rules out all the other options before surgery. A fusion is generally a last resort. Once done it cant be undone.
    Have you ever had PT before or will this be your first time?
    I think your doctor will just try this for awhile to see if it works. My surgeon had me try PT well before all the other tests and shots and eventually my surgery in both cases...my neck and my back.
    Just hold in there and if you think the PT isn't working then discuss it with your physical therapist and let your doctor know. PT did nothing for my pain.

Good Luck Leo and I hope everything works out for you.

Christina :)
  • thanks alot for replying, no this is my first time for PT. I guess the dr. knows best. i am kind of nervous i guess. i will keep you informed of how it goes. THANKS AGAIN
  • I have that wrap around rib pain that makes it hard to get up from laying down. I'm pretty sure it is from the T-spine trouble I have. Have you had your T-spine checked? I went for PT 4 years ago and after 3 sessions my back pain was worse, but that was before they did the MRI. They just thought they were treating hip and knee pain at the time.

This is just from my own experience but it seems to me that doctors like to postpone surgery as long as possible. If I had it to do over again I would just make sure that they know what they are really treating.

• Your Dr is just being thorough and I wish all surgeons were the same. He is proably wanting to rule eveything else out before surgery as it is such a big step. Having PT will also help to strengthen the muscles you will be needing for your recovery.
    Before I hadmy Fusuion I went to the gym every day for months even though it really hurt, it was the best thing I could have done. I have had a much easier recovery then expected.

Keep it going
  • Trying conservative treatment prior to surgery is good medicine unless you are an emergency case w/o any other options. After watching my husband go through all sorts of conservative treatment and 2 surgeries, I can say that if any of the conservative treatment had worked it would have been better than going through surgery and recovery. Many insurance comapnie will require the patient to fail PT prior to surgery to avoid unnecessary surgeries.

From our expereince, I would still try all of the non-invasive treatments before surgery, but I wish my husband had had surgery a little earlier to avoid some of the long-term nerve damage.

Good luck sorting through your issues and finding a solution. Terri
  • Ok i have told everyone i scheduled my pt. to start. i have been twice this week, and no one has laid a finger on me. the first day, i went for initial visit, nothing. my therapist told me she would start me on water therapy. Fine i thought, bring your suit, and towel. and just walk on back to the pool. i go in there ready to begin. and the pool therapist greeted me to tell me that she cannot let me step in the water. BECAUSE, she said they have to have an o.k. from Dr. to get in water, and it was not on paper. The dr. had stated on orders, start p.t. and treat. Well my therapist had not made sure it was on there, so the water therapist could not do anything. OF COARSE my therapist was not there. this lady tried to call my NS office, to get o.k., but all she got was answering machine , that they would return her call. so here i set ready to do something with me, in my swimsuit, i felt kind of silly setting there in a chair, watching everyone. while she tried to contact dr. again. needless to say after about 15 min. i left, with another appt. scheduled Thurs. she said call before i come to make sure they have got approval first. I ask if she could maybe do land therapy instead. well your therapist did not put that down at all on paper either. so it is water therapy or nothing. i felt kinda of stupid, and the fact i was so discusted.
    i got home and my husband says boy how do you feel? that was quick. i showed him my swimsuit , it was dry. i started to cry. so i ask how much longer , and waiting can we take?? i have been off work since 5-28. since nothing, but mri's have been done. no one has laid a hand on me. can't somebody do something. ?? i am sorry to be so mad. i am so frustrated right now. , i needed to vent to you all who i know understands and cares. really not happy with the hospitals, drs. , and staff. i know we need them, but i wish we didn't . thanks for listening LEO

• Hi Leocat,

I understand your frustration. I've been living it for the last 5 years and have finally, or unfortunately, exhausted all conservative treatment without any relief. It sounds like your doc is dotting their "I"s and crossing their "T"s. I wish you the best of luck and really hope you find some relief!!
  • Leocat I understand your frustration but believe me once you get in the water you will just love it.

You can do so much more in the water then you can on land and though initially they may only have you walking back and forward, it does make a difference.
    And either way it will be building up your strength and stability for IF you need to have surgery. - Lets hope not!

Keeping fingers crossed for Thursday!

Blessings Sara