Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Poor Software Quality will Jeopardize this Forum

I have to be frank. But look, in a day and age when software functionality and quality can be attained at a relatively cheap price, I am quite frustrated with this web site. A lot of us migrated here amidst much fanfare and have made the best of things.

However, it is by no means easy to navigate this software and it is highly inefficient. You can't even use standard HTML without strange side effects. And believe me, I am a fairly experienced software engineer and know that these things are not rocket science to implement.

What I do know is that this takes planning and commitment. I have to wonder what kind of planning took place if part timers are cobbling features and functionality now that people are actively using this product? Also, why wasn't standard chat board software used that works right out of the box if there is a resource issue? I have helped put together social web sites in no time, such as soccer chat boards for no money at that.

The icing on the cake is the poor aesthetic quality. It has gotten to the point where I only come here out of loyalty and care for the people I have come to know.

Moreover, I ask again: what about revenue generation here? I have to think that some advertising revenue is generated from this site. Please correct me if I am wrong. If I am correct, can I ask whether or not such money is being used for site development and maintenance?

Cheers, Mate

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,865
    Mate, first let me tell you that I have had over 34 years in both hardware and software aspects of computers. You might not have read the details of WHY the migration to the DRUPAL software was required. And perhaps you didnt read when I explained the extensive and wide acceptance throughout the world about Drupal software. Any site that is growing in members and function needs the power and functions that Drupal can provide.
    I will also be the first to point out that the Drupal product takes a bit to get accustomed to. It does not have that easy and smooth interface as other Php software does. It has been interesting that as we have migrated the majority of the members here have been willing and eager to figure out how to use this new environment.
    I can assure you that this migration had nothing to do with marketing, it was a technical migration. Without moving to the Drupal software, Spine-Health would not be in a position to have multi servers, multi-sites which would only benefit the member community.
    I understand you have your views and I respect them. Please feel free to message me and I will be gladly to explain all the rationale on why the migration was necessary and how this software is going to benefit the member community.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
    Also, please remember, what is the cost to the member for being part of Spine-Health?

Nothing, there is NO charge to any member.

Hard to find a better deal where you can have as much resourced at your finger tips.
  • I for one would be prepared to donate money for a better user experience...and I am sure you could get more donors without imposing on the financially challenged. I also wasn't suggesting a marketing angle as the reason that there was a migration. And, no, I didn't read anything regarding why the SH site was migrated.

Anyways, these are tangential issues. The fact remains that this web site is poor and inefficient in its functionality.

Any site that is growing in members and function needs the power and functions that Drupal can provide.

Come now, there are many ways to implement a content management system. Drupal is but one. Also, more often than not, it is how you implement the back end stack, from web to application to database servers, that determines scalability. One does not have to use Drupal to have scalability using highly available and load balanced servers.

Above all, this still has nothing to do with poor software quality. Sorry, I hate to be so blunt, but I am sure I am articulating what a lot of people feel. At the end of the day, SH users are the ultimate customer. I'm staying out of loyalty to them and because I want to help with advice and stories of my recovery.

But man, this software sure makes this hard.

Cheers, Mate

Everyone is allowed their opinions on what different software systems can do. There are over a 100 different Content Management Systems out there. Its easy for anyone to do some comparisons. You have to look at the total picture. What are the sites requirements today , tomorrow and further down. There may have been simpler CMSs that look more like PunBB and PhBB, VisonPower, and more, but in a year from now as this site continues to grows in total, another migration to a more robust system would be needed.
    It was the better decision to think ahead.

When system migrations are made, there is always a lot of up front planning and testing that is done. But the true test comes really when you put that new system in front of the large live population.

There has been no hiding that there are problems,bugs,concerns, features that this Drupal system does not do like the older Spine-Health software did or maybe doesnt do it. Thats why we've asked the member community to identify problems, provide details, etc. We have been lucky that people have been doing that. This way we can maintain a list of problems/concerns that need to be addressed.

I would love to carry forth you concern, but I dont know how to document it. I dont think developers can work on a problem that says "the software is poor". Please identify specifics and then we can work on it.

Think of what I am saying as the same as going to a doctor and saying. "I dont feel good, I hurt" Well, that may be well and good, but it surely doesnt let the doctor know whats going on. The more information you can provide the doctor to help narrow down where to look is so important.
    Same applies here.

• Mate, I want you to know that we are working as quickly as we can to update the boards to full quality, as well as the rest of the site. We needed to switch to a content management system so that we could grow, expand, and better manage articles and content.

One of the drawback is bugs, lots and lots of them. We also need to get old code up to speed, add in new features, and test constantly.

We've hired recently, and it isn't about money, it's about time - there's only so many hours in the day and we have a large list of issues and features we want to implement, all hopefully in the next few months.

I will keep you and everyone else updated as to our progress - we're working fast so we can bring these new features to you quickly.
  • I do understand the need to make the change and move to a different software platform. I have read the little "tricks" to finding posts. I do understand that there's expected growing pains ... BUT ...

It is agonizing what it takes to go through these forums day in and day out trying to follow up on threads I have made posts in, trying to follow new threads, trying to follow up on friends and new members I am concerned about.

I have to vent and say that this change has really been and is a pain in the butt and a pain in the neck! Literally! I spend 2 times the amount of time I have, trying to navigate this new and improved version of Spine Health. So I spend twice as much time sitting in my desk chair and anyone that has spine issues knows how detrimental that is for someone in our condition.

I really appreciate all the hard work that is and has been going on behind the scenes. Especially since it is been being done for free by other members, out of their own generosity. That makes it so much more difficult for me to vent, because I really do not want to hurt anyone's feelings!

But bottom line, this really stinks guys. For someone that is really driven to navigate their way through the maze, it is barely doable. Think about the newcomer or the person who isn't that computer literate....

okay vent over

As as long time and well respected member, I can appreciate everything that you are saying. Believe me, and you know more than anyone, coming from the PunBB Forum environment to the Drupal setup is a bit difficult to adjust to.
    There are so many things that 'USED TO BE' that we want "TODAY"... Some of that may happen and some of that can not happen.
    I can say that the team(s) working on this new site are doing and will be doing all the things to make this site as easy to use as the previous site.

Change means differences and sometimes it means problems. I know that the migration to Drupal was needed and required. So from that point, I try to look at everything as how to make things easier for the general members. Some things can be done and some can not.

"C", I can tell you that work is being done to "adjust" things... Notice I say that as NOT fixing things... Only because of the new software platform, not everything can be made to look or feel as it did in the older platform.

But that has never stopped me for looking and finding solutions. Drupal is one of the largest forum and web sites around. The number of users and sits is astronomical, the same applies to their support. Its coming up with the right 'Addon' that can be fit into the entire Spine-Health web site. I know from my own personally experiences with Drupal, that several of the problems people identified could be fixed... But thats in a native Drupal environment. Spine-Health.com has the Pain forums, as well as the other pieces of the web site that has to be taken into consideration. Plus just trying to make the pain forums look 'something' like the old forums.
    It is not easy
    But with this team, noone gives up
  • I am going to jump in on this one and agree with C. The difference being that I am not computer literate. I don't know how to follow the threads I have contributed to, I don't know how alot of my old friends are doing because I don't know how to find them. It really is hit and miss for me, I just log on and hope that they are here - they rarely are because I think they are probably struggling aswell.

I'm finding the whole thing quite perplexing :?

No question , navigating in these new forums is a bit more
    complex than with the old forums.
    Its not so much as having computer savy or not. I remember when I first joined Spine-Health , I had trouble navigating.
    When I log on to other forum sites that use different software, I have a tough time keeping track of where I was, what was posted, etc.

Right now in Drupal, the 'best' way to navigate is to see
    what forum topics under the different categories was updated.
    The new flag and the number of new posts is a good way to see whats been updated.
    Now, that works fine when you look at the total forum topics.
    What is missing ( and I miss it so much ) is the method in one click to see ALL the topics that have been updated.

I am always looking for different addons that help in this area. I have a small personal web site that is running Drupal 5.7 (same software as Spine-Health, but does not have all the modifications to put it together with the rest of the Spine-Health web site)
    When I find something that looks good and could help us all out here on Spine-Health,I test it on my site then bring it to the development team here to see if its possible.
    I know that the Spine-Health development team is looking into ways to make this forum easier to navigate.
  • sigh ................. :( , when I see the word software all I hear in my head is 'blah blah blah'!

I wish I was more with it - now where are my crayons and colouring books :P
  • There is something to be said for coming in late to the party.Because I'm new here and never used the 'old forum' I have a bit of an advantage,in that I don't have to make the adjustment that the long standing members do.
    Every forum is different and navigating comes faster with use.I must say that the HTML struck me as a bit old school,but I realized soon enough that changes are/were being made when I began reading all of the posts.

Just thought I would say that this site has been very informational.I think I can honestly say that in reading the articles alone I have learned more than I have at the Drs office..and I PAY to go there.
    Thank You!