Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Depression/Herniated Cervical Disc

BlueseksuBBlueseksu Posts: 2
edited 12/27/2015 - 11:33 PM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I don't know what to do anymore. I am a 24 year old female and I have a bulging cervical disc that is slowly herniating. The pain goes from my neck down to my thumbs.

It was my right shoulder first and the the same exact syptoms started on my left arm. I am in so much pain all the time that it makes very depressed. I am taking tramadol at the moment as well as Cymbalta. I am getting my 2nd epideral injection in a couple of days. The first injection did not work and it made my symptoms feel a lot worse the following week. I'm hoping this one works for the best. They also want me to do physical therapy but I am not even sure if it will work since my pain chronic. What do you think? Will I always be in this much pain? What has worked for you? My doctor says no surgeon will take since it goes downhill from there. Is this true? Any home/office exercises that can help relieve the pain? Like I stated, I'm taking tramadol buy only when I really need it (as in like I feel like jumping out the window). I used to take it daily but I started having panic attacks.

Overall, this diagnosis makes me very anxiously and I don't know what to do. I feel so useless and I feel like my family is getting tired of me not able to function when I am in pain. Please help.

Cervical Herniated Disc Symptoms and Treatment Options
To cry or not to cry? The pain is killing me softly.

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here you can meet thousands of people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family[/u] who provide comfort and the advantages of a support system. You are now part of this family that is approximately 27,00 international members and growing daily.

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts[u] do not violate any of the rules.[/u]

- All new members must read our FAQ in order to understand the layout of the forums, how to navigate through the forums, helpful terms, how to make effective threads and posts, plus a link index to many of the important medical forums and key medical articles on Spine-Health Forum FAQ

I am positive any member, new or old will find this Chroinc Pain - Step by Step thread very valuable.

Here are some links that all new members need to review to create effective threads and more

Read before you post
    More Info Tips for Newcomers
    Understanding the rules

All of this will help make your threads better and improve the times and quality of responses you will receive.

You can also find Spine-Health on these Social Networks

Facebook www.facebook.com/spinehealth
    Pinterest http://pinterest.com/spinehealth/boards/
    Twitter https://twitter.com/SpineHealth

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the private message facility to[u] contact any one of the Spine-Health Moderators

Liz -Spine-health Moderator

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,427
    edited 12/28/2015 - 5:52 AM
    Curious as to what kind of doctor you have been seeing? Who referred you to surgeon?
    Also, curious what doctor is doing your epidurals?

You mentioned depression and anxiety. For many people, the cymbalta helps with pain and depression. For some it doesn't.
    Same for epidurals. I've had about 12 during my pain issues and some worked and some not.

My pain management doctor has me on daily pain meds to try to keep the pain levels manageable.
    Does your doctor know how bad your pain reaches before you take a pain med?
    What level of pain are you most often functioning at?

I also struggle with depression and anxiety. I took myself to psychiatrist and received medication and did some one on one talk therapy for awhile.
    It does not have to be a forever kind of thing.

Often times, during transitions in life, we may benefit from learning new ways of coping.
    The things I learned from therapy are still benefiting me now.
    I continue to see psychiatrist every three months for med management.

I choose to stay on antidepressants and anti anxiety, since this is best my mind has felt..in ages.
    But for many, again, it could be just for the transitional period and they will automatically feel depression and anxiety lift when the pain issues are under control and or resolved.

Please keep us posted!
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• My symptoms started exactly like yours; first my right, then my left. I also have a bulging disc and a herniated one. Neither seems to be hitting a nerve root, although the spinal doc noted that it's displacing the spinal cord. Both arms hurt, but my left arm gets to an 11 on the pain scale (my right, an 7-8) I have good days where the pain in both arms are tolerable. I've learned to really appreciate those days.

I have left scapular winging, which makes me suspect TOS. I was wondering if you've experienced any winging?