Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hello All . . . My Introduction

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,623
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:19 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi! My name is Crystal. I am 25 years old and have been dealing with chronic back and leg pain since October of 2001. When I was 18, I was in a rollover accident. Thankfully, I got out of the car on my own but my back pain set in about 2 months later. My family doc treated it lightly at first. An MRI revealed that I had a significant herniation at L5-S1. I was referred to a neurosurgeon. I went through therapy and decompression as well as a couple epidural injections. Nothing gave me any relief so we proceeded with a micro laminectomy in 2002 and it worked great. I was left with very little pain and needed no pain medication. In Feb. 2005, I was t-boned. Instantly all of my pain returned and I was devistated. Due to insurance, I could not return to my old neurosurgeon. I went to a new one and I was told it shouldn't hurt that bad. I went back to my old pain management doctor, who is wonderful. She started me on neurontin and vicodin and eventually we started doing nerve blocks under flouroscopy. These do not take away all pain but they do make it easier to stand at work and make it through the day. I eventually found a great neurosurgeon and we went ahead with a repeat of my first surgery. He also removed a lot of scar tissue from around my spine. This surgery was not successful. I still have the pain in my leg and in my back. Sometimes I am worse than I was before the second surgery. I have now been in pain for three and a half years. I have started back with the nerve blocks again to help ease some of the pain. I find myself depressed and my emotions go up an down. It is hard to find people to talk to that truely understand what this kind of life is like. I accept that this is something I have to live with but I find it hard to cope sometimes. Does anyone have any coping suggestions that help you? I am so grateful that I have found this website. I wish you all the best.

Thanks,
Crystal
advertisement

Comments

• Wow, sorry to hear of the road you have already traveled. Your question is the 60 million dollar question. Each one of us depending on our background, our surroundings and just our own personal character develop a set of coping skills. There are similarities, however there are also many differences.

Have you had a chance to read through some of the posts on the forum? You may be able to start picking up some ideas from there.

For me I don't even know if I could put into words what I do to cope. I guess the biggest thing would be to live in the moment.

Welcome to Spine Health,

"C"
  • I am sorry to hear of your journey with pain. It sounds like you must have some nerve pain. My only suggestion would be to talk to your doc about Cymbalta. I have been on it for a little more than a month and it has really helped my depression, anxiety and nerve pain. Maybe you can check with your doc to see if it may be helpful for you. Good luck and remember that we are always here to talk to you and support you. You are not alone.
  • :) hi and welcome to the forum! we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. you have been on a long, hard, road. i have been a chronic pain patient for over 25 years so i know of the anguish you speak of. if surgery is not for you, i hope you can find enough conservative treatments to help relieve your pain even a little.i am on 300mg of Lyrica right now to help with the sciatica in my left leg. it helps some. good luck to you and i hope to see you around the forum! Jenny :)
  • Well, the good part is that you have found a place where people understand. I'm glad you have a good pm doc. I think the suggestion to look into cymbalta or some other med that will target depression & pain is a good one.

Skippy
  • I think you found the right place to come. Read through the forums and you will find some answers and a whole lot of understanding. We're all in this together. Wishing you a pain free day.
    O-
  • There is a lot of great experience on this forum; try using the "search" key at the top of the page, too, as you will find all kinds of posts you may have missed along the way.

Coping is one of the hardest parts of the chronic pain cycle. I, like Jenny, have long standing chronic pain issues, and you just have to keep forging ahead. Don't EVER give up; that's the main thing. I keep a list of treatments to try beside my phone; every time someone recommends something I've never tried, I add it to "the list". It reminds me that there are still options available that I haven't tried yet.

Try to stay connected with your friends - that is VERY important. Withdrawing is so easy to do when we're in pain and frustrated, but it's not a good place to be.

Take care, and keep posting. You'll always find someone around here to help you out when you need it.

Tracy
  • thank you all for making me feel so welcome. You all have great ideas. I am definitely going to try cymbalta. i am going to spread this website to people i know in the same situation. I have four people in my family with various pain conditions and this will really help them!

Thanks again,
    Crystal
advertisement