Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Last resort

I am in pain 24/7 like I'm sure most of you are. I was sent to pain clinic 2 weeks ago because my doctor said he had tried the shots and PT and just about everything else. The pain md wants to do RFA and after reading everyone's post that have had it, it literally. scares. me. to. death! I'm afraid I will have new pain in new areas added to my old pain! He said you have to make up your right now and if I wouldn't agree to it, he would not see me any more! I didn't ask for more pain meds, I didn't even mention it and he starts off "If you are here to get pain meds, you have come to the wrong place. I will not give out medication to keep you addicted, blah, blah, blah".

Anyone ever go to a pain doctor that is so uncaring as this?

• Is uncaring, but can you imagine how many patients a pm doctor must see each day that only want pain meds, and refuse every other option in trying to treat pain? It doesn't excuse his manner of saying what he said, if it was as you stated he said it.
    As far as RFA goes, it is a procedure that burns the nerve fibers and for many , many people works wonderfully in reducing and even eliminating pain for several months , and can be repeated when necessary .
    Not everyone experiences significant increases in pain, post procedure, and in those that do, by and large, it resolves in a few days to a week.
    Before they will do the actual procedure, they usually do test injections to make sure that they have the right levels /areas before having you undergo the actual procedure.
    It is worth giving a try, and talking to the doctor about the procedure ahead of time might help eliminate some of your fears.

• Thank you for the encouragement! I want relief so bad, I'm almost willing to do anything, but I read on another Spine forum about so many people now having a searing, burning sensation from having RFA that is worse than their original problem! Some said it lasted for months! I am just so scared! I am in so much pain 24/7 that I don't know what I would do if I have new pain to deal with. The last Mylegram I had was sheer excruciating due to so much arthritis in my back. The dr doing the procedure said the needle was touching the arthritis and causing me to scream out in pain! I made up my mind that day to never have another one! So it scares me to death to have needles anywhere near my spine!

• Winch526WWinch526 Ottawa, Ontario, CanadaPosts: 13
    I just looked up RFA and that does sound scary. However, it also sounds like it would be amazing to just numb out the pain receptors. I'm not sure it would work for me as most of my pain is muscular. I have a small herniated disc that presses a nerve but the rest is caused by extreme muscle tension as my body tries to protect that small injury. Over the years the muscles have become so sensitive that even the slightest rigorous movement causes the whole area to seize up. So not sure the RFA or even surgery would be able to fix it. I think an epidural would help but then I might continue to do damage and not know it.

In any case, if they think you're a good candidate, I'd give it a try. What do you have to lose??