Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Does spinal fusion surgery relieve head ache intensity and frequency

My drs have been pushing fusing c2-c7 for 2 years now. My short term disability carrier said i had to wait untill December 2015. Now its time to pull the trigger and i am weighing pros and cons before i schedule. Big thing for me is head aches 10 out of 14 days.

• tanme77ttanme77 Posts: 23
    edited 01/02/2016 - 12:39 AM
    Wondering the same. I have my c-5-c-7 acdf on the 13th. My doc said itvwill help with the headaches. Im scared though. I have been reading on Google about ppl having worse headaches after the surgery
    C5-c7 anterior cervical discectomy and fusion
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,427
    Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• I cant and dont even want to imgine headaches any worse then the have been. Atleast for me the headaches are way worse then the pain they sometimes last for a week to 10 days and nothing helps.
  • tanme77ttanme77 Posts: 23
    edited 01/02/2016 - 4:14 PM
    I hear ya. Im at the point were i will try anything. I have had botox, epidurals, trigger shots, every kind of meds you can tbink off. Its just out of control and im sick of living like this. So heres to hoping it helps
    C5-c7 anterior cervical discectomy and fusion
  • mrossomx2mmrossomx2 Coal center Posts: 42
    I just scheduled my acdf for 2/4 and although I am in a lot if neck pain the headaches are worse I am on anb8 week headache now, the neurologist just did occipital injections, but no guarantee they will help. Prayers to all of us
  • HualaniHualani Big Ilsland HawaiiPosts: 57
       Obviously as we say your mileage may vary. 
    I am also post traumatic intractable pain patient with chronic daily headaches almost 34 years.
    Yes we are fairly "hard core" when it comes to pain tolerance.
    Like you, I was recommended cervical fusion for many many years.
    i see two rays of sunshine;
    1) anything that reduces the frequency or intensity of the headaches cycles by a perceptible percentage is worth taking a good long look at.
              After avoiding any plates and screws/hardware for so long I knew as I got older I was risking something more than headaches, but actual paralysis as my mobility flexibility and strength came into question.

2) SO there is still the concept of making certain we dont get worse.  

when you live with herniated and bulging discs for years on end, you learn to live with pain.

I am just 7 weeks out from the ACDF so I will have to get back to you as I continue to heal. 
    This is one of the slower healing processes I've had so patience is important. 
    Prior to surgery there were more times than I could ever count that after certain neck movements and straining I new "what I was in for" as the ensuing headache cycle would be guaranteed.

to date I think it is too soon to know. I use a chronic pain tracker daily, if you can let me reach the 12 week point I will have 3 months of reports to compare with a year ago.
    All the best to you and your decision, progress, pain.
    Life is too short to be serious all the time.
    so if you cant laugh at yourself, contact me
    I'll laugh at you. B)
  • I'm 8 weeks post op, acdf c5,6,7. I have headaches at the base of my skull, behind my ear. My dr says its from muscle spasms and tension in my neck. Before surgery I had chronic daily headaches but this is different, almost like an earache. Like most symptoms it should ease with time. Good luck! 
  • C2-C3 fusion should help headaches for sure. Other nerves don't really go to the top of the neck but more to the shoulders, arms, mid back. Have you considered an ablation for the headaches?