Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

More FUSIONS and scared!

I am 35 and am going into my 4 spinal fusion. I had my lower spine fused from L5 to T10 for scoliosis. The surgery seemed fine until I was 28 and then I started getting stabbing pains in my lower back and legs. I got X-rays and my rod had broken at T10 and L3 and was collapsing my lower back.
I ended up being bedridden and unable to walk for 6 months before I found a surgeon who would touch me. Nobody would do the surgery and told me sorry that was it. I would have died.
Luckily I met this amazing Dr who did my surgery. And I am 3 years out and am still in pretty severe pain and need a walker sometimes. I can't stand for more then 10 minutes but I feel blessed I am walking at all. Well I just found out my Cervical C3,C5 and C6 and herniated,spinal stenosis,Kyphosis and nerve damage. He said I Would be paralyzed if I didn't do the fusion and to fuse from C3-C7 and then in 5 years fuse the rest of my spine!

That sounds awful and I am upset about this. Was this caused by the surgery I had when I was 15 or did I do something wrong to ruin my body and make my spine fall apart. IDK its been really hard being 35 and using a walker and being on disability. Whats hard to is I was a very successful Broker and miss working so much. But I can't sit or stand. I read on WIkapedia that spine fusion people are referred as " SOinal Cripples" and I just was hoping some of you had a happy ending with these surgeries. My neck doesn't even hurt that bad but he said its a mess. So I am scared. Please comfort with your experience.

• Hi Annabeller
    I'm sorry that your having serious spine problems at such a young age
    15 months ago in October 2014 I had a 5 level posterior cervical laminectomy fusion with rods & screws
    I'm 56 and have 3 grandsons
    My pain is a constant 4 and when I exercise or do activities my pain doubles
    I take tramadol & tylenol daily
    I was evaluated as moderately disabled
    Since the operation my mobility is better
    I walk one mile , do streches,push-ups and elecpitcal for ten minutes every day
    I went back to work after 8 months
    I golf, roller skate , and snow ski with my grandsons but my limit is two hours and these activities cause my pain to double
    I then have to rest with a heating pad
    I'm slowly getting better
    You seem like a strong young woman who's been thru a lot
    I would think that your neck surgery will be much easier than your previous back surgeries

Good luck & Godbless

• Thank you so much for sharing. 8 months before you could go to work! Thats insane. So its a pretty big recovery also. I went to the Dr to schedule the surgery for Feb. 23rd and He is doing a Anterior and posterior on C3-C7 and he said he is being very aggressive to ensure that it fuses since I have had so many problems with them. So I Will be in the hospital about 6 days he said. But thank you. You bring me alot of comfort knowing all the activities you still do. I still think after 4 years since my last surgery that I will be able to go back to who I used to be. But Im thinking that boat has sailed.