Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

2 epidurals Still in Pain

I keep posting and seem to get few responses. I am a repeat from a few years back and have read many stories that help me during this difficult time. I was an avid runner for many years , shoveled snow three years ago and hurt my back. It took about 5 months of horrible pain until it was discovered I had an extruded disc fragment. I had surgery a MD at L3-4 although they left the disc alone. After surgery I developed 3 DVTs in my good leg and after blood tests discovered I have Factor Five Leiden ,a clotting disorder that predisposed me to getting a clot.
Fast forward to now and I have somehow re herniated the same disc and have had about seven weeks of horrible radiculopathy. I am only comfortable flat! I have tried the conservative route and have had two epidurals with no relief. The next step is surgery but I am very scared of subsequent blood clots. Even the surgeon wanted me to get other opinions. I think he is afraid to operate. I can't live this way much longer! Pain and staring at the ceiling is no way to live.
Anyone else had a similar situation??

• Sorry about your pain! I have been in your shoes before and headed there again. Once your quality of life taken from you it's time to try something else. When I used this site 10 years ago there was so much more input from people around the world but now there is little helpful input from people like you and me. Not sure what changed because I know back issues are at a all time high. I has 3 MD surgeries for DDD then had S1-L4 fused then a year later had L3-L4 fused. Now after 6 years of good life my L2-L3 is degenerative. 3 Epidurals in 4.5 months I'm now faced with another fusion. I'm going to ride the pain as long as possible but know it has to be done. If I were you I would get another opinion in your case but I'm sure you can find a Dr. That would take your case. Good luck!
    TLIF L4-S1 2007                                         TLIF L3-L4 2008                                          TLIF L2-L3 2016
  • Liz53Liz53 MissouriPosts: 142
    Thanks for your reply. I see your list of surgery and wonder how you have made it through all of them. Did your MD fail after a few years for any particular reason? Did the Dr then recommend the fusions? I worry that this is an unending road of procedures and with the initial damage the whole spine becomes compromised. Best of luck to you to in this difficult journey!