Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Sleep Problems - A Combined list

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Sleep Problems
Hi. I've had insomnia problems basically forever. I'm hyeractive which makes me toss and turn all night and wake repeatedly. It also exacerbates my sciatic pain (which is better post op,.. but not gone yet). Most sleep aids contain dyphenhydramine... which makes me jittery instead of sleepy. I get drowsy and jittery and get an even WORSE nights sleep.

Any suggestions?

• Hi ya all,

Thought i should post with details of how I have coped with sleep problems. It doesnt involve medicines but does involve use of an MP3 player.

I have a number of plays and stories that I listen to when i cant sleep. The ones that work the best are those that are just one voice. I have the volume low and find that this is enough to stop all the worries going round in my head. Its dark and I close my eyes and try to get comfortable.

It can take an hour or two to settle but i get there in the end. It keeps me chilled and i dont watch the clock.

I have Alan Bennets Talking Heads volume 1 & 2 although the favourite at the moment is "An uncommon reader"

Any of the talking books mite work for you.
  • Now,... before I post this let me disclaim....

I am not advertising for or selling the product I am about to mention. This is simply my opinion from having tried it myself.

Ok,... got that out of the way. I think I have found something that helps me fall asleep easier. If it weren't for the pain waking me up all night, this stuff might just keep me down too. Celestial Seasonings Sleepy Time Extra tea. It's all natural, no drugs... striclty herbal. Actually doesn't taste half bad either. It's kinda sweet, slightly minty... hard to explain. It makes me feel very relaxed. I wouldn't drink it during the daytime, that's for sure.

Anyway if your curious, try it. It only costs a few bucks for a box of 24 bags, so if it doesn't work for oyu it shouldn't break the bank, and it may actually help somewhat.

My humble opinion.

• i drink my sleepy time tea every night, its very relaxing