Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

C5/C6 - Chest Pain? - Better after Fusion?

Rob42RRob42 Posts: 1
edited 01/03/2016 - 9:17 PM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello everyone,

Im a new member of the site. I really liked the way all of you support each other bringing in their experiences. So now i want to inbtroduce myself and also ask a question.

I am a 40 year old guy, MD. I live in Europe. About a year ago after some horrible pain in the shoulders and arms as well as numbness an MRI was performed an a protrusion of the disk at C5/C6 was found. Also Spondylophites compressing the C6 roots on both sides. Conservative Treatment was kind of successfull at first but now things are worse again. Especially burning pain. I am beeing told to try more conservative treatment , for wich i was started on Pregabalin. As of now i am watching the results and wonder wether i should ask for surgery. (Anterior fusion).

Now to my question:
Besides the Arm, Neck and Head pain i also have reccurent episodes of pain in my chest. Sometimes Burning, sometimes pressure, sometimes like choking. Sometimes it feels more like dyspnea. It usually gets worse when in Bed. Also slightly worsens after Physiotherapy but usually gets better after that. Cardiac Reasons have been excluded. Also no sign of pulmonary reasons. To be honest. Right now this is the thing that bothers me the most. Can hardly think straight when the symtpoms are there.

It has been suggested this might just be a pyschological issue (and yes it is definately modified by stress). But i feel that is must have to do with my spine. I have found some recent review articles on this "cervical chest pain" being underdiagnosed and have also read some posts here describing it.

Has anyone had these symptoms? Have they improved after your Cercival Fusion operation?

Thanks for reading

Rob

advertisement

Comments

• LizLiz Posts: 7,888
    edited 01/03/2016 - 9:17 PM
    Please take the time to read this post and refer to it when you have questions

I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and growing.
    Here are just some of the highlights that are available as tabs on the main Spine-Health menu bar

Spine-Health Main Menu Tabs

Conditions Detailed medical libraries of articles and videos that address almost every spinal condition.
    Treatment List of treatments to the conditions identified by Spine-Health.
    Wellness Section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.
    Medical Articles
    Pain Forums These are the forums you will be using
    Find A Doctor This provides with a method to search for doctors in various locations.
    Videos Index to all Spine-Health Videos

As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here you can meet thousands of people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family[/u] who provide comfort and the advantages of a support system. You are now part of this family that is approximately 27,00 international members and growing daily.

IMPORTANT

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts[u] do not violate any of the rules.[/u]

- All new members must read our FAQ in order to understand the layout of the forums, how to navigate through the forums, helpful terms, how to make effective threads and posts, plus a link index to many of the important medical forums and key medical articles on Spine-Health Forum FAQ

I am positive any member, new or old will find this Chroinc Pain - Step by Step thread very valuable.

Here are some links that all new members need to review to create effective threads and more

Read before you post
    More Info Tips for Newcomers
    Understanding the rules

All of this will help make your threads better and improve the times and quality of responses you will receive.

You can also find Spine-Health on these Social Networks

Facebook www.facebook.com/spinehealth
    Pinterest http://pinterest.com/spinehealth/boards/
    Twitter https://twitter.com/SpineHealth

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the private message facility to[u] contact any one of the Spine-Health Moderators

dilauro

liz

Savage

Liz -Spine-health Moderator

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • wizardrosewwizardrose Posts: 10
    edited 01/10/2016 - 7:25 AM
    What you describe sounds like the heartburn I experienced after lumbar fusion. My back brace & bone stimulator were the compression but I didn't know I had a hiatal hernia. Found it from doing a swallow test.

I also didn't know heartburn could make my throat/ arm/ chest hurt too.

A RX for anti acid was needed OTC didn't work.

Good luck.
    Wiz
  • I had severe Chest pain from my C6/C7 disc herniation, it is actually the first pain i had along with left arm numbness, which sent me to the ER. It was determined my heart was very healthy and eventually they found the herniation. Gabapentin helped me greatly with the chest pain and the other pains as well. I have since had a disc replacement and the chest pain and all the other pain and numbness is gone.
  • Lvn86LLvn86 Posts: 68
    edited 01/11/2016 - 5:19 AM
    I had a c6/c7 fusion in November. I have a bulging disc at c5/6 and a larger herniation at t12/L1. I have burning around my back to my chest. Even my breast. As my surgeon said once a fusion you may need more. I had to have it because of severe spinal,cord compression. Either that or a wheelchair. Have you had your thoracic spine MRI? More than likely you could have more going on.
  • Lvn86, what other symptoms did you have? And what side was your chest pain and how long did you have it? I realize this is an old post. I hope you are still around! 
  • nutcase007nnutcase007 United StatesPosts: 151
    Please read my posting Pain Can Kill.  That posting might trigger some ideas...
  • HI Rob, 
      I have the same issues arm shoulder pain 
    I started injections sometime ago to no relief at all. The first injection was VARY painful the pain in my chest was crazy I thought and told the Doctor I'm having a heart attack, she replied that it was the meds putting pressure on a nerve that runs  into my chest, but yes now after 4 neck injections to no relief I do get the same chest pains .in 2005 I had a spinal fusion now today dealing with neck issues and facing surgery for it ,it takes a toll on you it really messes with your head in a bad way all I can do is tell all of you is to stay strong don't let this beat you it almost did me ,but I'm still hear thank God! I hope all of you the very very best and hope one day your all pain free goodluck 
  • The meds caused the chest pain?
  • nutcase007nnutcase007 United StatesPosts: 151
    VirginiaPlain -  If you are asking about vascular dilators, they relieved my chest pain and also relieved the burning/stabbing/shocking pain in my legs, arms/hands, shoulders and neck.
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,941
    Hello mike75 !
    Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    Sue
    Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• Hi There, 
    I saw you had disc replacement. I am about to have c5c6 replacement about a month from now.  I tried PT, medication, chiro, and nothing worked.  I have the constant pain in my neck shoulder and numbness down my right arm.

How were your symptoms after surgery? Are you happy with the result?
    PC
advertisement