Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Finally had surgery 2 PCF in five weeks. Couple questions and thoughts

Adman680AAdman680 Posts: 5
edited 01/03/2016 - 8:28 PM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
First pcf 6-7 right day before thanksgiving. Extremely complicated. Probably at the edge of what's possible with this surgery according to a prominent surgeon who did it. I probably didn't take post op seriously enough. Had to go back on a second steroid pack but due to insurance still had to complete the second operation. So five weeks later I had c5-6 left completed the day before New Year's Eve.

Proper to surgery is been on medication for 18 months. Relatively unable to work (I still have four ruptures in my lowest back including a 10mm protrusion at l5/s1. I tried 7 epidurals. I've gained q bunch of weight which stinks and right now is day four of operation two.

I'm curious for those who had both PCF and acdf is acdf substantially more painful of a surgery? If you had pcf did you have to be reoperstex on?

Because pain is roofers the for all people it's hard to say - how bad did you feel it was. For me I wouldn't say the first surgery was terribly painful. It wasn't that big of a deal which is probably why I overdid it and screwed up. The second I think due to recovery being incomplete from the first has been a fair bit more painful.

I have q feeling acdf may ultimately be in my future and I'm curious if it is going to be much more painful that these.

Definitely don't take PCF too lightly. You'll be feeling a ton better pretty fast but there's a lot left to do. And when the outside scar has formed don't presume the inside is healed properly.

If anyone has questions let me know. If anyone has had both operations is really like your personal opinion on how much more painful acdf is as well as recovery differences.

I really recommend everyone try a series of epidurals. Physical therapy and decompression before getting back surgery of any kind. It's with trying everything else. That said cervical PCF is not incredibly painful so far. Though two back to back (pardon the pun) does get to be moving towards quite painful at times.

My dr was [edit] . So I feel I was in good hands as he's very well respected along with the rest of barrow neuro. If you can see them there it's probably worth the extra effort to do so.

Also of note. It wasn't t possible to wait longer for the second surgery. But I'd urge anyone require both sides of the neck or back like I had to consider waiting three months or maybe more between the two operations.

I'm genuinely curious to know how long it will be for me to recover and how the pain changes after initial surgical. I had hoped my second would be like the first but I have a feeling jamming these two together may wnd up being more painful than I'd thought.

Anyone else have two in a short period of time? Comparison to acdf? Advice for post op recovery?

Hope my experience and brief thoughts help mothers looking for info. Feel free to respond here or whatever and I'll be more than happy to answer questions. Me cause any typos. Limited to phone for now m