Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Degeneration above and below Fusion

Hello. I had ACDF C5-C7 in March 2015. The surgery significantly helped my left arm pain and weakness as well as left leg weakness. Since the surgery I have had an increase of neck and upper back pain without arm numbness or weakness. It feels like it is the spine itself. I had 2 sets of XRAYS by different doctors. 1 was interpreted as Pseudoarthritis / failed fusion. 2nd was interpreted as Stage 2 Spondylolishesis at C3-C5 and C7-T1. The neck pain is sometimes unbearable. Also I have sever low back pain which I can only imagine is from some of the postural changes I make to help with the neck pain - I am not sure.

I have had 2 Cervical ESI so far and will be starting Physical Therapy. I take 2 Alleve in the AM / 2 Alleve in the PM and Tylenol throughout the day & Gabapentin 2700mg daily. I can also take Tramadol 50mg 3x daily but this offers little relief and gives me mild nausea (which I wouldn't mind so much if it helped better). I use ice, TENS, & DMSO as well.

Has anyone experienced similiar changes post-op? Has any of the treatment options I suggested helped or is surgery a forgone conclusion?
Thank You

• ArtsygalAArtsygal Kentucky Posts: 27
    Sorry to hear you haven't fused and experiencing additional pain.  I had the same surgery as you in December 2013 and just got confirmation I didn't fuse. For me I'm waiting for a date for revision surgery as tens, pt, pain meds etc did not help me. I have DDD and levels above and below original acdf are bad too. If you can manage I would say try what your doing to see if it gets better and above all talk to your doctor!  If surgery is the only option like me, you can do it later. Have you discussed your low back pain with your doctors? I ask because of DDD I now have issues from L3 - S1 and may have lumbar surgery after my cervical revision surgery. If your lumbar issue continues you may want further testing. I hope you find relief without surgey, keep us updated!