Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Piriformis Syndrome and Weight Gain

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
I have developed piriformis syndrome over the last several months, I've been to the doctor he gave me muscle relaxers and percoscet initially for pain and told me to start stretching my Hamstrings (the meds were only short term so I could get some sleep). This had happened to me 2 years ago and I began riding my bike and the pain disappeared, so I did the same this time. The pain went away for a week but then came back. The difference between 2 years ago and now is 1) I'm 2 years older and 2)I've gained 40 pounds from Zoloft. Could my weight gain be hindering my healing this time?

• I too have gained about 35 lbs since I've had problems with sciatica and my back. I have wondered the same thing, but can't figure out how to excercise to the point where I burn enough calories without hurting my back/leg more! So frustrating!!!! I think if I lost weight I'd probably feel a lot better.
  • Piriformis syndrome can often be a symptom of other things, such as mechanical back and/or SI joint dysfunction.

I had horrible piriformis syndrome in 1988. Three years later, I thought I had the same thing. I did all my stretching and it didn't resolve anything. It turned out to be SI joint dysfunction.

If your previous routine is not working, it's best to have the source of pain checked out.
  • :) there is a weight loss group here on the forum. check under Diet and Nutrition wek27 if you are interested. you can join anytime. many of us face the problems of inactivity, weight gain from medications and just poor eating habits. come on over and join a great group of women. Jenny :)
This discussion has been closed.