Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Damage to fusion?

Had an ALIF done for L5/S1 October 20, 2015. Currently 2 months post op. Progress has been ok, most discomfort when getting out of bed in the morning, it all feels stiff and sore and painful. I live alone and do daily tasks by myself, sometimes with the back brace, sometimes without. I spend a lot of my free time lying down, and I do my walking every other day usually.

So I did something stupid on December 24, 2015. I'm an avid tennis player and for christmas I got my dream racket (pure aero). I JUST HAD to try it out, and I was feeling pretty good that day. All the courts were frozen over but there's a wall nearby I can hit off of. So yeah, I hit a ball against the wall for about 15 minutes. Forehand, backhand, it all happened. I found that 1) that racket is awesome, and 2) I was fatigued in the trunk area. DIrectly after this, I just felt tired.

Since then, I've continued to have pain in the trunk area, and some pain down the leg. It lessens as the day goes on but I'm worried that perhaps I may have dislodged the bone graft stimulator thingie? Does that happen? The doctor said that strenuous activity would make the bone not fuse, which I understand. But it was a one-time thing, certainly won't do that again until way later down the road.

I am reluctant to go back to the ortho because I've gone back like 4 times worried about little pains here and there and it always shows that I'm ok. My next appt is in 3 weeks or so. Any thoughts? Has anyone returned to sports too early and just basically died?



  • hvillshhvills Suzhou, ChinaPosts: 728
    It's certainly possible to have messed things up with over doing it... but the only way you are going to know is to go see your doctor. Forget how many times you've been before... it's YOUR body and YOU need to ensure things are healing correctly. P.S. No more stupid sports stunts...
    Harry - 63 year old male...
    PLIF L4-L5-S1 due to disc degeneration... May 23, 2013
    PLIF L5-S1 due to failed fusion and broken screw... Jan 19, 2015
    Microdiscectomy, decompression L3-L4 due to herniated disc... Jan 19, 2015
Sign In or Register to comment.