Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Long term strategy?

chopsuicchopsui Posts: 12
edited 01/05/2016 - 9:25 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Being in your 20s with a herniated disc it seems like it's a death sentence because all the injections and pills are temporary certain activities I can never do again because they cause too much pain. Even if I get surgery I'll have to be as careful as possible not to re herniate or have the fusion affect my other discs at which point I'll be back in excruciating pain with no surgical option

. Is the point to just be as conservative as possible within the limits of your acceptable pain? My first doc was so conservative I feel like I wasted years of my life and I'm ready to just get surgery now. I wish I got it right away before getting on the pain pills because now I worry I've been in pain so long there is nerve damage.

Very frustrated I feel like my pain limits me so much I think I'm ready to just get surgery. Roll the dice at least have a chance at living a good life again. I feel bad for my girlfriend who has to deal with my limitations, if not all the things I've missed in life bc of this...

I still have to finish college and if sitting in a chair for 10 mins hurts this much I'm scared of how much torturous pain I'll have to endure when school starts. This pain honestly robbed so much from me that I am just considering not finishing school and getting some easy job or disability. .. I don't know. Any thoughts or advise is greatly appreciated

• crestfallenccrestfallen Posts: 8
    edited 01/06/2016 - 6:30 AM
    I was diagnosed with cervical problems only recently, at the age of 55. I can only imagine how discouraging it is to be young and going through this. My heart goes out to you!

Since I'm rather new to all of this, I can't offer any advice on whether surgery is your best option. I can tell you, however, that it is possible to overcome this debilitating condition and lead a normal life. I've read numerous posts on this forum from people in our predicament, who now do the activities they love. [EDIT}

When the future looks dismal, it's so easy to lose hope. Please don't! There is a light at this long, dark tunnel.
  • nutcase007nnutcase007 United StatesPosts: 131
    I kind of feel your pain. I had my C3/C4 right facet joint broken in my early 20s because of being rear ended in a vehicle accident. Back then, there wasn't any MRIs. I had a weak neck and mild pain, so I was told by the medical community to live with it. Now going on almost 40 years later, I've had 2 neck fusions and other procedures. Age is no longer on my side. I'm currently trying to come to terms with being recently told that I'm permanently disabled.

I'd suggest you check into artificial disk replacement, depending on your neck condition and overall health. I know of several persons that had artificial disk replacement and are doing great. Age should be on your side, being in your 20s. Those your age tend to heal better/faster and older people like myself.

Try to understand your medical condition and own it. I know that there is often a lot of emotions of getting a "raw deal". I still have to deal with my emotions given that my broken neck was given to me because of another person's fault. I never received any settlement because my broken facet did not cause me major problems until after the statute of limitations ran out.

Life is NOT fair. There are many persons on there forms who have a lot of understanding. Please use it. I wish you the best.
  • Thanks I'll look into the disc replacement. I was also injured in a car accident that wasn't my fault. I went on a bender and didn't accept my condition for so long that the 2 years to file a lawsuit expired so dealing with those 2 things is very very difficult for me.

As for the artificial disc is it in clinic trials? Are there long term studies that have been done? I'm currently doing facet blocks which help with making the pain bearable and I'm going to try a nerve burn or radio frequency ablation very soon. Best luck to you all the most frustrating part is when we are told to just live with it or that we aren't really injured. Thanks
  • nutcase007nnutcase007 United StatesPosts: 131
    Artificial discs have been FDA approved for several years. They have been used in Europe even longer. I have multiple friends that have artificial discs and are doing great. This site has a great write-up at url http://www.spine-health.com/treatment/artificial-disc-replacement/artificial-disc-cervical-disc-replacement that includes several approved implant options. Some conditions are not appropriate for artificial discs. My last operation was a fusion because I have a broken facet joint, so an artificial disc would not have worked.