Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Anterior, multilevel fusion with hardware.

ATrainAllDayAATrainAllDay Buffalo, NYPosts: 2
edited 01/05/2016 - 11:07 PM in Lower Back Pain
Hello all, I'm new here. Seems like there are some in the same boat as I, and I'm generally quiet during office visits. I copied and pasted the list of questions I should answer and I'm hoping to be able to get a greater understanding from others.

I fell with my daughter in 2011 on ice, I was 25 years old (6'3"/165 lbs) and due to having my arms wrapped around her at chest height, I had no possible opportunity to try to brace myself or move really. Last thing I remember were seeing my feet in front of me then waking up to her screaming and having no sight til (a few seconds?) later. My 10 month old daughter broke the ball of her jaw from impact and was my immediate concern, so we took her to the hospital and I was rather numb from the experience or adrenaline and didn't get seen for between 6-8 days later because I couldn't deal with the lower back pain anymore. I couldn't do anything but fetal position really at the time, standing up straight was not possible. I went to an "immediate care" like facility and had x-rays taken where there we varying diagnosis' given but was given ibuprofen, a steroid pack and some low level loritabs. The pain kept on for another week before I seeked out more professional treatment. The "back doctor / pain management" guy had me do physical therapy, which didn't have success. Then epidural steroid injections, 2 more steroid packs, and later getting an EMG. The lidocaine was the only part of the shots that worked and wouldn't last any longer than maybe a half hour tops. My legs were continually weak, get pins and needles all the time and and easily fatigued. Jolts down to my toes as well mostly when laying down or standing. My hamstrings are constantly tight to the point I am a foot away from touching my toes with some strain. Prior I could grab under my toes. I had to start sitting down to pee, my sexual stamina went from 45 minutes to a minute or so. My circulation is pathetic, my feet and hands are always freezing, and i am super sensitive to touch and cold. I also shrank from 6'3" to 6'. I went to a neurosurgeon whom ran a spur down my right foot, and then moved onto a bobby pin. Since I had feeling in my feet, he sent me on my way. On to an orthopedic surgeon whom finally listened to my issues which expanded. From the back of my head to the top of my butt crack hurt with varying pain. Cervically my neck painfully cracks, my thorasic feels like someone is putting pressure directly into the dip of the disc to the point I try to flex like Hulk Hogan and push the area out for relief. Lumbar is as hard as a plank of wood with a continual pressure like its pushing in with a never ending ache I can't explain. Over the course of a few years I guess I gained a pain tolerance but it has killed my good, positive attitude. I finally got MRI's which showed herniations from L4-S1 with annular tears. Had the discogram to verify. T8-9 was herniated and 1 in my cervical (that I can't currently recall) with d.d.d., and spondylosis. He deemed me a candidate or surgery but was intrepid as i was young and very slim. Sent me off to pain management where I got a TENS unit to try to numb the area and low dose hydrocodone. All the while I was told to continue working essentially until it was unbearable. Having a kid, I couldn't afford to be out and his hesistance had me seek out a 2nd opinion. Years later and another child I have hit my limit and went to a neurosurgeon who sent me for more MRI's on the thorasic and lumbar. The results showed L3-S1 are now herniated l, 2 slipped vertebrae (why I can't stand up straight) and T6-T9 are herniated. All of em to the right and impinging on the cord. He wants to fuse L3-S1 through my stomach via (his words, not mine) a c-section and above my hip. Using cages and some kind of stem cell protein, rods and screws. Medication wise, the hydrocodone 5, then 7.5, and percocet 5, then 10's don't touch my pain so to me it is a waste. 150-300 mg Lyrica twice a day was more effective. The TENS unit brought some relief when on. Due to having medicaid, I have to wait til March for surgery (I found out today when) due to my insurance giving the go ahead which apparently takes that long.

What can I be told about this and what should I expect. I intend on following protocol and not rushing it. Any recommendations or suggestions? My goal is to be able to stand straight, maybe get some of my height back and alleviate my lower back pain. I've had enough of the pain

Types of Spinal Fusion

Lumbar Spinal Fusion Surgery

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    edited 01/05/2016 - 11:08 PM
    Please take the time to read this post and refer to it when you have questions

I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and growing.
    Here are just some of the highlights that are available as tabs on the main Spine-Health menu bar

Spine-Health Main Menu Tabs

Conditions Detailed medical libraries of articles and videos that address almost every spinal condition.
    Treatment List of treatments to the conditions identified by Spine-Health.
    Wellness Section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.
    Medical Articles
    Pain Forums These are the forums you will be using
    Find A Doctor This provides with a method to search for doctors in various locations.
    Videos Index to all Spine-Health Videos

As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here you can meet thousands of people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family[/u] who provide comfort and the advantages of a support system. You are now part of this family that is approximately 27,00 international members and growing daily.

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts[u] do not violate any of the rules.[/u]

- All new members must read our FAQ in order to understand the layout of the forums, how to navigate through the forums, helpful terms, how to make effective threads and posts, plus a link index to many of the important medical forums and key medical articles on Spine-Health Forum FAQ

I am positive any member, new or old will find this Chroinc Pain - Step by Step thread very valuable.

Here are some links that all new members need to review to create effective threads and more

Read before you post
    More Info Tips for Newcomers
    Understanding the rules

All of this will help make your threads better and improve the times and quality of responses you will receive.

You can also find Spine-Health on these Social Networks

Facebook www.facebook.com/spinehealth
    Pinterest http://pinterest.com/spinehealth/boards/
    Twitter https://twitter.com/SpineHealth

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the private message facility to[u] contact any one of the Spine-Health Moderators

Liz -Spine-health Moderator

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery