Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Lumbar Decompression and Spinal Fusion with Instrumentation on the L4-L5 and L5-S1.

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,899
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
:jawdrop:

I am having this done on the 28th and I am SCARED to dealth:):)LOL

I just needed to find some positive and rein-forcements;)
advertisement

Comments

• Go into this surgery with the most positive thoughts and attitude. I did, and my surgery went beautifully. I had almost the same thing as you are having, except I had one more level of fusion (L3-S1). My surgery went very smoothly and none of my pre-surgical fears became true. As they say, expect the best but prepare for the worst.

Of course all of us had different experiences, but there is no reason why you let your nerves rule your sanity. Once you have made all the preparations, it is out of your hands and in the hands of your capable surgeon. So at that point just try to relax and don't work against your body by tensing it up. Read good books, listen to music and only talk to people who are positive and who could uplift your spirit.

And remember, every year thousands of people go through the same thing and they ar here to tell about it.

Good luck! I'll be thinking of you on the 28th.

Hugs,

Kin :) :) :) :)

• see you on the other side
  • Cheer up my dear, I had the same thing done 7 weeks ago and it was successful. You are going to be just fine. I did it without hesitation.

L4,L5 Laminectomy Disectomy in 2006, TLIF L4,L5,SL in May 2008.

Good Luck!!!!!
  • im 2 weeks post op tomorrow and i was like you.i couldnt sleep for a few weeks before the morning of the surgery i was very surprised with my thinking as i kept saying to myself that im going to be fine and im going to be a new woman in a few mths i have had a really good day today ive not had any pain releif saying that i would be better without them as they dont do anything anyway i wish u all the best for the 28th x
  • I just want to say that I do feel better.....You all are the best cyber friends that a person could have ;)
  • You are not allowed to freak out with me until next Sunday.

Hang in there and try to pace your self with the stress.

Julie
  • good luck i will be thinking of u on the 28th xx
  • Polly, I had same levels as you 6 weeks ago, and like you was scared to death going in, wrote letters to my kids and all. I think it is perfectly normal to feel anxiety when going into a surgery. When I woke up in the recovery room and since I have not had any of my previous pain. The surgery pain was well controlled by the morphine pump that they put in. I know it is different for everyone, but I am very glad to be on the other side and am now doing PT in the pool since 4 weeks and have been off pain meds since 3 weeks post op for the first time in 4 1/2 years. I will say a prayer for you on the 28th and wish you the best possible outcome.
  • Jinty, I live in Fountain Colorado...just south of Colorado Springs;)

Julie..I know..I just cant help it,LOL:) How are you doin??? Are you excited like I am??
  • Hi Polly, I am 11 weeks post L3-S1 with a lot of extras.
    One thing I did a lot of pre surgery was talk to my back/spine and let it know what was going to happen. SO I was preparing myself both mentally and physically. (watched the vidieo on this site to understand better the procedure)

I would visualise the surgey being a complete success, having my spine straigh again and all good.

Now I am post op, I visualise the fusion taking place and I often "sand" the healing so I dont develop scar tissue.

I know to a lot of people that this may sound very strange but it really did work for me and it gave me somehting positive to do to assist with my healing.

Blessings Sara
  • Is hat a picture of your wound?
  • Actually, it is not as strange as you think, Angel. Lot of people believe that positive visualization can help in many different therapeutic situations, e.g. visualizing chemo attacking the cancer cells. So I don't see why the same technique would not work with spine surgery. Or at the least, it definitely couldn't make it worse. My feeling is that if anything has a slight chance of improving my situation, without any side effects, why not try it?

Wishing the best to all recovering spineys!

Kin
  • I had the same surgery! I'm still in lots of pain...but I'm a funky situation..so don't listen to my whining! ;)

I had a rough first week, but I was out shopping at Target at my 1 week anniversary! All-be-it I was mowing racks of clothing over in one of those scooters, and being extremely offended when it made that beeping noise when I backed up! WIDE LOAD! LOL

I'm happy I've gotten this far though. I can move my toes and I don't have as many incontinence issues! Keep the big picture in mind while setting short-term goals! It takes time, but I hope you will greatly benefit from it!
    Good luck--we're all pulling for you!!! :)
  • Hi Polly,

I had a fusion and decompression surgery about 9 weeks ago. The pain is unlike any other. My hysterectomy was like a walk in the park. I think what might have prepared me was my first surgery (decompression/laminectomy) last year. So I knew what kind of pain to expect. The first time is totally new, and can be frightening. I don't want to scare you; I'm just saying it like it is. If you know what's coming and inform yourself, you'll cope better. I wish you a successful surgery, and remember we're here backing you all the way
  • I'm going to assume that you gave done all your research, looked at and tried all the less invasive alternatives? - yes? It looks like you have on your signature anyway :)

I am just over 48 hours post op (even had to have a second surgery today) and I know that even though I have had an unusual outcome so far - I still think I made the best decision and I am not second-guessing myself. I knew the risks and the long recovery.

One thing I have found out - your attitude will make all the difference in the world!

I've found that all the hospital staff looking after me are so impressed with my positiveness and good attitude and willingness to uncomplainingly follow their instructions that they, in turn, answer all my questions and are incredibly willing to help me when I need it!

Hopefully this will help you even more than my meager cyber wishes :)

I will still send you tons of good recovery and healing vibes and I hope you post and keep us updated - I'll be watching for you and wishing you the very very best.

• I am overwhelmed by the love and caring coming from all these posts;)

I am trying to prepair myself for the WORST pain I have ever felt.....But I am just thinking that with me being only 35..that this is the BEST thing I can do for myself and my family;)

I just want MY life back..I feel like its been stolen:(

I will keep you all posted....I do love you all and thank you for being here for me;)
  • I just wanted to check on my surgery buddy. Are you ready?

Yesterday was a trying day for me. I spent the first half getting pre-registered, labs, chest xrays and finding my EKG results etc.... Then I spent a few hours (was suppose to be a few minutes) with my NS office. I found out that my surgery could be postponed due to a small sore on my hand. My surgeon wanted to reschedule- but has decided to let me call in on Sunday if it is still there.

Today it looks much better--- crossing my fingers and holding my breath. I am getting last minute stuff done like paying the bills....eaakkkkk!

Cheers,

Julie
  • I am getting sooo nervous,LOL:) I am soo sorry about the reschedule scare..that would be aweful after prepairing and all:(...How is the sore today?? Why do they worry about sores and colds and such??

Well I have been getting my house ready...my labs wont be till the morning of since I live so far away,LOL:) I did get my walker delivered yesterday.....;)

I am going to take my laptop with me to the hospital and hopefully they have internet plugs so I can check in on you:)
    Well off to do more laundry..trying to keep myself busy is KILLING my back and leg,LOL:)
  • I am new to all this too. My surgery is on July 30th. PLIF at L3-L4. Had a laminectomy in 12/05. Didn't work. Had all kinds of other treatments, injections, therapy and here I am. I also am trying desperately to get all ready to be out of commission for awhile. I will be praying for a quick recovery for you and will check back here to see how it is going!
    Lyn
  • Polly and Julie,

You'll do great! Best wishes and no worries is what I say.

Stay positive and I will see you on the flip side :)

Mel
  • Good luck with your surgury PollyRamos....
advertisement