Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I'm new

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi. My name is Angela and I hope to be able to find answers to a couple of questions I have. Here's my background so please bear with me.
I started having pain in my right shoulder a couple of years ago. It progressively got worse and in February of this year I sought out an Orthopedic doc. He ordered an MRI said he saw some arthritis and a little tendonitis in the shoulder and recommended physical therapy. While working with the therapist many times she said that she firmly believed my problem was as much as my neck as it was the shoulder itself. I relayed the info to my ortho doctor and he really didn't pay it any mind, instead telling me what I needed resistance excercises and such with the shoulder. After 15 visits of PT my shoulder hurt far worse than it ever had, was insanely tight so I felt it necessary to end treatment and find a new orthopedic doctor. My new doc reviewed my history, actually listened and ordered up an MRI on my neck. Turns out I have 5 problem areas in my neck, three of which are crushed discs on my left side not the right side which would make more sense to me. She said they are minor and not putting any pressure on the spine. I will be having an epidural injection in C-5,6 and C6,7. My questions are as follows: does this mean I will have two injections that day or will they be able to get to those discs with one shot; also I cannot seem to find ANY information on the internet in regards to crushed cervical discs so I'm not sure if it goes by some other name and I'm wondering if anyone else has had them. I don't know how I got it and never thought to ask if this was something that happened over time or was it an injury of some sort. If it's the latter that caused it, the only thing I can think of is two years ago my then 6-year old son jumped from the couch onto my back and within an hour I had a cramp so bad in my neck that it took days before I was painfree. Thanks in advance for any advice.

• :) hi and welcome to the forum! we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i am sorry you are having such severe pain. please keep us posted as to your progress. good luck and i hope to see you around the forum! Jenny :)
  • Angela. Sorry to hear of the pain that you are experiencing. Please take some time and look at the condition and treatment tabs at the top of this page. You will find a ton of information there. Good luck and please keep us posted.
  • Hi Angela,
    Welcome to spine health. I had a round of injections last month - he shot two different discs each time. Heck, I think one day he shot me in four different places. I think it is because they are not sure exactly which disc is causing the pain, so they try a couple places while you are knocked out.

Glad you are here.
  • welcome to spine-health
  • I myself am a "spiney" lol and not a "necky", but I have a question for you.

back in late 2006, I had this pain in my right shoulder. Felt like a knot to me, under the bone, that I couldn't touch. I also had a stiff neck, which I had a few cortisone shots for. I had an x-ray, and the Dr. told me I was having "muscle spasms" sent me home with a script for a muscle relaxer and PT. After 2-3 months or so of PT, the therapist was certain there was nothing more she could do for me... and sent me on my way, with a "tens machine" (a little device, you stick to your back/neck and runs a small current of electricity to relax your muscles)

The pain in my shoulder only got worse. Then one day, I awoke from a nap, and had horrible back pain, kind of mid-back. I immediately put the heating pad on it. After about 30 minutes, I felt really bloated. Up at the top of my stomach, just below my breasts. About an hour after I had woken up, I could hardly breathe. It felt as if someone had taken a leather belt, wrapped it around my ribs, and was pulling it tighter, every time I took a breath. I thought I was having a heart attack. It was like an elephant sitting on my chest. My husband rushed me to the hospital, where it turned out I had gallstones. After googling gallstones, I found out that one of the first major symptoms, is unexplained pain in the right shoulder!!! I know you have proven crushed disks in your neck, but maybe you should ask your doctor about this... just in case.

Hope everything works out for you, sorry I don't have any info on crushed disks...
  • Actually my sister keeps telling me that she's surprised I haven't had serious issues with gallstones because both she and my mother have underwent surgery for them. And I did have problems with it (the tightening in my chest,ribs, and vomiting bile)during the latter part of my last pregnancy.
    What I'm having now, the shoulder tightness and pain and sometimes shooting burning/sharp pain sensation in the upper chest is very different from that experience of gallstones. And with actually knowing now that there are neck issues I'm hoping very much that this is the root of the problem. :)