Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Fentanyl and alcohol

Jles1JJles1 Posts: 2
edited 01/08/2016 - 12:04 PM in Pain Management

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,476
    Please double check this out with your doctor.
    Even if others respond with taking same med and that they are able to drink on that rare occasion ..doesn't mean you can.

Your doctor knows you the best ...and takes your medications and all your issues into consideration.
    As you said..a laundry list of problems.

He will be able to guide you best. :)
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• I can assure you any doctor worth his salt would not recommend drinking if they prescribed so much as a Vicodin. Not because it is sure to be a fatal combination but because of the liabilty associated with such advice on the off chance anything did happen. The same could be said about taking pain meds and driving or operating heavy machinery but if you drive a car while on pain medicine, esp after years of building up a tollerance, the likelihood of getting into an accident based solely on the fact that you are on meds is ridiculous. I guess I'm not looking for the black and white printed answer, that I can find. I am confident I cannot be the only person on this medication who has contemplated indulging in a drink. I'm hoping someone who has done so can advise me of their experience and if they suffered any adverse effects.
  • CombinING opiates and alcohol can be a fatal combination. Your size and weight has little to do with it, the depressant component of alcohol, coupled with the respiratory and cardiac slowing caused by opiates in your brain is what causes fatalities, the cumulative effects of both together compound one another.
    What happens to one person who chooses to risk that and is lucky enough to get away with it, doesn't mean you will. That's the real issue.
    If I want to choose to have an occasional drink, then I choose not to take my meds on that day and give my body time to clear any residual medication before consuming any alcohol.
    While I think many of us can understand not wanting to feel like the odd man out, having a drink is not worth risking my life. There are non alcoholic beers that look and taste like any other alcoholic beer, I'd the desire to be included is social.
    Also many pm contracts explicitly state that consuming alcohol is a violation of the contract.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.