Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pain relief timeline ?

I am now 8+ weeks out from laminectomy with pedicle screw instrumentation and fusion at L5 - S1. Not sure why, but my surgeon chose to do both anterior and posterior approach.

My question relates to the timeline for the nerves to heal. I still have considerable pain down both legs and into my feet.
Each day I wake up with some relief but after normal activity around the house and maybe 30 minutes of walking at the gym, the pain is back in full force. I feel great otherwise!

What can I expect going forward? Is it normal to take this long for improvement. My surgeon says don't worry, that it sometimes takes months !

William gibbs

• Happy to report some relief from my sciatic leg and foot pain. I want to give you all some hope that things will get better. I'm far from 100% but I do feel better and you will too !
    My surgery, called a 360, was very intensive according to my surgeon. Even after 10 weeks or so, I was still waiting for things to improve. He told me to be patient and he was right. Now after 12 weeks I do think I'm getting healed. My surgeon says the process may take an entire year. Good luck !
    Bill G
    William gibbs
  • Bruce EitmanBruce Eitman Akron, OH, USAPosts: 1,131
    Bill, I like your word choice - "the process".  That is how I have thought of it.  Mine was cervical, so I don't know what exactly you are going through, but for me it has certainly been a process of healing, learning, exercising, and resting - and figuring out when to which!

Spine-health Moderator

Read my story at Bruce - My Story
    ACDF C4-C5-C6-C7, and getting better every day
    It has been a process of healing, learning, exercising, and resting - and figuring out when to do which.

• Yes I agree. Some days a good some not so good.  I think resting and patient are the hardest when pain dominates your life.    I am hopeful when I think about the fact that I feel better this week than last week or last month.   
    William gibbs
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,837
    As your doctor said, it could take months....
    Sometimes with nerves it could take a lot longer.   Depending on how much nerve damage was done prior to surgery, it could take from several months to over a year to heal.   My last lumbar surgery, it took about 13 months before the nerve pain disappeared.

Unfortunately, there is no formal time table that could indicate when you should recover and feel better.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com