Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What could I do for a lower back stress fracture?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,662
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Lower Back Pain
So after about a year of constant back pain I finally went to the doctors to get an X ray and to take it to a physical therapist. When the physcial therapist looked at the x ray he said there is a good chance I have a stress fracture in my lower back that I got while I was learning how to walk. Now I will be doing physical therapy starting soon, but I also run cross country and track&field and I cant stop my training. I was wondering, what are my options other than physical therapy to help with my back pain?

• I am totally unfamiliar with stress fractures of the lower back, however wanted to welcome you to Spine Health.

If I read your post right, the PT is the one that read the X-Ray and not the doc? Can you go back to the doc and ask what he/she thinks? The PT and the doc are the best to advise you on what to do in order to help with your back pain.

Sorry I'm not very helpful,

• Yes, the physical therapist read the X Ray and not the doctor, and to be honest I'm quite thankful of that because my doctor isnt very helpful (I once before had a needle in my foot for almost a month and he said it was normal pain that would go away). The doctor told me to take 4 ibuprofen every 4 hours, but taking ibuprofen is nothing new to me since I use them for pretty bad shin splints due to running. The ibuprofen helps minimally, the only things that really work is heating, icing, and massages, but even things things only act temporarily. I should be starting physical therapy sessions soon, within 2-3 weeks once our insurance gives us the green light.
  • OUCH! A needle in the foot? Wow and you still use the same doc?

The reason I asked that, is that although PT's are trained quite well, they don't have the extensive training that a physician does. Is there any way that you can get another doc to read the x-ray for you?

There are so many options for dealing with back pain, but it really helps to be able to know what specifically will help based on the type of injury. Hence the reason you are asking.

I would wait and see what the PT has to say when you start PT. Just remember that PT can increase your pain level. However it should resolve back to previous levels or less overnight. If it doesn't then let your PT know.

This discussion has been closed.