Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

2 Weeks Post Op L4-L5 Discectomy

I am 2 weeks to the day post-op L4-L5 Discectomy. Everything thus far has been great, almost too good to be true. I have followed doctors orders in that all I really do is walk around the house, browse spine-health every hour or so for 20-30 minutes and lay in bed. I have also been walking 2-3 miles a day when the tempature rises above 32*.

As of late yesterday I started to notice when I sit down my left leg begins to get "pins and needles" type numbness just as I had been getting prior to surgery. Knock on wood, I haven't had any pain yet. This morning again within a few minutes of sitting at the kitchen table eating breakfast my left leg began to go numb. This is really starting to bum me out. I should note, while laying in bed this does not seem to happen.

I know they say it takes time to heal and that you can have flare ups or whatnot, but this really sucks! I do not remember from my MRI how extensive my herniation was, but I do not think it was nearly as bad as many of you others here on this page. I choose to have surgery because the pain was starting to affect my daily life and job. Had I not choosen surgery I would likely have to seek alternate employment and that really is not an option at this time.

Who else has had this experience and did the numbness go away after time or did it continue to stick around? I haven't taken any medication, but I will take some ibuprofen today in hopes that it will assist in relieving this numbness.

• Still not any better. Not any worse either.
  • hvillshhvills Suzhou, ChinaPosts: 732
    2 weeks post-op is still pretty early... The numbness is most likely just your nerves trying to find a "healthy state" afer having been crushed by your disc herniation. During the post op recovery your nerves are going to do all kinds of strange things. Hang in there...
    Harry - 63 year old male...
    PLIF L4-L5-S1 due to disc degeneration... May 23, 2013
    PLIF L5-S1 due to failed fusion and broken screw... Jan 19, 2015
    Microdiscectomy, decompression L3-L4 due to herniated disc... Jan 19, 2015
  • Hi Drew

I am 11 Days post op and experiencing very similar symptoms however mine only goes away when I lie on my left hand side (had a centre right prolapse disc causing pain / numbess in my right leg for a year, not really bad pain but affecting lifestyle and work)

Not sure what the cause is but I thought I would share that with you.

• 3 weeks is tomorrow. Seems like every time j sit now the numbness comes back wether it be in a chair or in the toilet. If I sit with my leg stretched out it doesn't seem to be as bad.
    Prior to surgery ink lunges the pain down the leg for maybe 2 months., so I don't think my nerve(s) were in horrible shape.

I suppose I can live with the intermittent numbness so as long as it won't affect day to day activities.

Additionally, I am looking to get a back brace/support for when I return to work - does anyone have any suggestions???