Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

HELP! 12 days post-op ALIF

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,622
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:19 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am having severe nerve pain in my back - it feels like a nerve is being pinched on both sides. Sitting hurts - trying to get in and out of bed hurts - I can't stop crying when I try to move in bed.

I am on all my pain meds - but nothing is touching this - Wondering if I over did it yesterday?

Any Advice?
You can PM me too

Mitchygal
advertisement

Comments

• I am so sorry for all your pain. If you are concerned that you may have overdone it yesterday that is a possibility. Take your pain meds, try to find a realativeley comfortable position, relax and rest, and see how do you feel tomorrow. If the pain gets worse or if it changes a lot, a call to the surgeon may be in order. But hopefully, you will feel a bit better tomorrow,

I wish you a better day for tomorrow!

Hugs,

Kin :)
  • Mitchygal, I am sorry you are in so much pain. It does sound like you overdid it yesterday.

Can you walk? I know for myself that when I am at my worst pain it seems (cruel I know) that the best thing is to go for a walk. I find that it tends to loosen things up a bit.

I know that the temptation is to lie still in bed but this is the worst thing we can do to ourselves as it gives the muscles a chance to seize up and therefore squeeze the nerves that run through them.
    Do you have a heat pad you can put on your back? I find that my heat pad is my best friend at tiimes.

As Kin said, ring the doc if you are still bad tomorrow but lets pray that this is a one off bad day! :D

Blesings Sara

• Today is slighly better - I still have to walk cautiously. seems the pain or nerve type pain is work in left leg - so when I talk my walks I have to be careful.

I did call the doc this morning and he is calling in a patch for me (can't recall the name at this point) and then asked me to come in on Monday.

So I am not feeling so hopeless - for the moment - I wish there was a crysal ball that would lay out what would work for each persons recovery.

I was using ice and heat and thedoc said to keep that up. I tend to feel more releif after thhe heat.

Mitchygal
  • Hey Mitchy,

You need to take it easy, 12 days post-op is still very early days. I'm glad that you called your doc though, that was going to be my suggestion when I just read your first post. This time round I simply cannot tolerate ice on my back, so I use heat and I find it soothing. Just rest, but keep getting up and moving around to keep things loose. Don't go for really long walks if it's proving too much, try 2 or 3 shorter ones each day instead.

Take care honey and I hope things settle down really soon. Hugs, Spicey
  • Glad to hear that the Dr. is responding and that the pain has gone down a titch.

Good Luck and I second the heating pad - I know that's what works for me whenever I have a kink.
  • Hi Mitchy,

I hope your pain is continuing to go down. The pain in my legs was the worst 14 days after surgery, sending me to the emergency room! But, a prescription for prednisone cleared it up quickly.

Were you sent home with a corset/ brace? I love mine; I wear it almost all the time and I find that it stops me from doing/ moving inappropriately.

Best,
    K
  • My leg pain was terrible at 2 weeks post op. Even laying down and not even moving was horrible. I used an ice pack all the time to numb things. I also started walking on my treadmill for very short period of times just 5 minutes to loosen up my legs. That helped more than anything else. The lack of movement from surgery was really hard on my legs.

Keep up with your meds, rest and try ice on a regular schedule.

Hope you do better soon!
  • I am using the lidoerm patches - and they seem to help a little. I do still get the locked up feeling when trying to roll over and some walking movements.

I do have a brace and wear it all the time - I took a nap with it on - and I felt like I slept better. Still walking and staying out of bed as much as I can.

I have a ton of steps in my house - so I am trying to reduce the number of times I go up and down them.

See the doc on Monday- hopefully he will know something -
    Michelle
advertisement