Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

6-months after 3-level (C3-C6) ACDF with instrumentation

Hi everyone. Sitting outside watching the flowers because it's one of those days when I just can't do much. My surgery was for spinal cord impingement due to severe spinal stenosis, of which I had no idea until the symptoms became unbearable (rubber legs, incontinence, numbness in arms & legs, soreness everywhere, extreme fatigue).

6 months out I wish I was "perfect" but I'm at a level of functioning I was at a couple years ago when I didn't know what was wrong & was diagnosed with fibromyalgia because no one even considered a spinal problem. So I accepted it until years later when it was apparent that something else was happening.

So, to keep my spirits up on "slow" days like today, I force myself to recall the progress made since surgery. When I first came home, I couldn't do anything by myself. I couldn't write, move my head, lift a thing, bend. Walking the dogs was NOT allowed. No leaving the house alone and certainly no driving. No going to bathroom alone, had to wear a "leash" to go up or down stairs, couldn't shower alone, no cooking, no taking even short walks. I needed a walker in the house. Then I graduated to a cane. And was released from in-home physical therapy to outpatient. Baby steps. And now I am independent again. I remind myself that healing & strengthening take time and I have no choice but to be patient.

I guess I balk at still needing help lifting things, reaching, having little energy, and I still look & feel a little drunk when I walk. Still have headaches, soreness & minor numbness but have slowly involved myself in activities I did before like counseling others, lunch with friends, participating socially when I feel like it. Neurosurgeon said Xrays look fine but ordered an MRI to make sure no nerves are still being compressed since I still have some nerve-related symptoms. This is scary. Cannot imagine needing another surgery, but I'd do it if it is the last move needed for me to feel and be "normal".
Psalm 91

• [Deleted User][[Deleted User] Posts: 65
    edited 01/14/2016 - 9:51 AM
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Ron1Ron1 CaliforniaPosts: 30
    bones have fused well. haven't used bone growth stimulator. what is it & why did you need it?

yeah ha ha, triumph over wrapping a towel around the head. That's HUGE! Remember taking your first shower alone? My biggest mistake was probably doing more & more around here--dishes, a little laundry. Now the family thinks it's status quo, but it's not. However, it's my fault for not asking for help & trying to be farther along than I am. Seriously, after a few days of activity, I am unable to move much today. So I'm not going to and I'm going to be OK with it. In fact, I think I'll go back to bed for awhile and it's 1pm!
    Psalm 91
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Lvn86LLvn86 Posts: 68
    edited 01/16/2016 - 2:52 PM
    Did either of you have tingling numbness or prickly burning feeling in your backs around your front still at 10 weeks? Maybe I am doing to much and bringing this on. I also had sever cord compression and have a bad gait. It seemed I was a lot better when I first came home from surgery, maybe because I was on steroids for 4 days after surgery. I also was diagnosed with fibromyalgia when I knew something else was wrong. My knees are killing me which is arthritis. Even my inner thighs feel like they have a prickly feeling. I don't know I am scared I am regressing. I do have a bulge at c5/c6 but surgeon said not bad enough to operate on, I hope it isn't worse. Also have a herniation atT12-L1 that is suppose to be fine. This is such a crap shoot.