Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hospital Readmissons

May be funny, but it is so true
Hospital Readmission
Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,427
    So glad it had open caption for the rap. :)

That's hysterical!
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• He does a Taylor Swift parody that's hilarious called Blank Script....hehe
    Kirsti x
  • Motor1MMotor1 Pittsburgh, PaPosts: 552
    I have been working in health care for over 30 years. This video is so true!
    When I worked in a nursing home, we would send a patient out to the hospital & the hospital would discharge them the same day. I had a patient get discharged at 3am in a major snow storm! Only to get sent back to the hospital the next day. He ended up having pneumonia.
    It's very frustrating.
    But the video was funny!
  • Max_LeeMax_Lee New York, United StatesPosts: 88
    I've seen a lot of his videos, my instructors love him and show them as teaching points! They are so funny while talking about a lot of good points.
    Kirsti, I also love Blank Script!
    Kieran Lee
     "The loneliest people are the kindest. The saddest people smile the
    brightest. The most damaged people are the wisest. All because they do
    not wish to see anyone else suffer the way they do.''-Anonymous

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,839
    edited 01/15/2016 - 8:32 AM
    My wife is a registered pulmonary nurse running a Pulmonary Rehab center, mostly for COPD patients. She was set to retire last year after 39 years as a Registered Respiratory Therapist and for the past 25 as a Registered nurse.

Her doctor group coaxed her out of retirement to lead the hospitals project on COPD readmission. To brag, I have to say for 2015, the hospital that she works ranked #1 in CT in terms of readmission. The normal rate was around 25%, she got it down to 13%.

Readmission: If a pulmonary patient is released from the hospital and has to be readmitted within 30 days, the hospital has to pay a big fine, plus can not collect on the hospital charges to that patient. To get the rate down, there needed to be much more patient education, especially before they get discharged and then follow up phone calls to make sure the patient remains compliant. When everything is going well, the patient should not need to be readmitted in the short term.

However, once a patient leaves the hospital, it is out of the hands of the medical professionals. The patient may be told to take their inhalers twice a day, and their medications once a day, along with their oxygen. You cant force them to do anything. Many patients forgot to take their inhalers or ignore their medications. Then, they have a relapse and need to be readmitted to the hospital. If that happens within 30 days of their previous discharge, the hospital is fined.

Not always fair.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com