Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L4 L5 bone fusion

So I'm 9 months out pain is same on some days if not worse MR shows sclerosis of the end plate, shoes facet joint hypertrophy below fusion on 3 levels and CT scan show that I only have a small amount of bone fusing. My nerve root at l4 l5 is now chronic and muscle becoming atrophy, my legs are going numb walking is becoming a problem, PT not helping making worse. I feel I should be doing something when MR showed nerve root subacute they said thats normal. acute after surgery is normal, now I'm chronic Neuro says nothing can be done for nerve root that supplies muscle other then PM. Now we aren't addressing facet joint issue I don't want to get to a point where I can't walk. I need my life back I know everyone heals differently but every time they ve gone in either surgically or injection something else goes wrong...

I post all the time and hardly get replies is my situation that unique or rare???
This can't be happening

• Sheri76Sheri76 Michigan Posts: 497
    I'm not sure how rare your circumstances are, I haven't been reading/posting for a long time...less than a year. I haven't been on the forum lately as much as I used to be before the holidays, just reading some good books lately, taking more of my reading time away from here; eye stress.

Your pain, failing fusion, is scary to say the least. My heart feels for you in your situation.

It's scary to me, cause I'm still unsure of my own outcome from L4/5 fusion last March.....and I'm sorry I didn't answer your question in my post about when I have the SI joint injection, it's this coming Monday. I was going to wait and post my outcome then.

I think I've been mentally avoiding thinking about it, and my physical exam for disability retirement today. Life seems to be in limbo land, waiting for results so I can move forward on other decisions.....all the while feeling my sacroiliac area keeps getting worse no matter what I do or don't do, and I know you probably know where I'm coming from.

I'll check back in tomorrow, got to get more sleep.

Take care, and let your mind rest.

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,476
    I have never been candidate for surgery, so I don't know any encouraging words re post op recovery.
    Hopefully, someone with similar frustrations will drop by with shared experiences.
    Just from reading variety of posts, I've read about such various times for fusion.

I do understand the frustration, to say the least, ...of experiencing the body changing, as you mentioned the atrophy.
    And of the fear of the unknown, as you said fear of not being able to walk.

Also, the frustration of working hard, as you say you want your life back.
    I think many of us can share in that fight..and or readjustments.
    It is so not easy.

It sounds like your neuro is forthcoming to you and takes time to explain your situation. That's huge.
    When you say you need PM, does that mean a new doctor? Or does your neuro continue to care for your pain management?
    My PM doctor is also neurologist and has been helpful with many of my other issues, also.

Under pain management, as he continues to monitor your recovery, and since PT is causing you more pain, he may be able to readjust his order for what PT should be dealing with...??
    He may have ideas re helping you to regain, or hold on to the strength you have.

I do know that many procedures may cause me to feel worse, but sometimes a treatment will be successful.
    The trial and try again of it all....
    But if PM doc comes up with plans, and something works, so worth it.

Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• is sending me to a new dr someone who knows nothing of my last 22 months only from records he received. neuro surgeon basically said exercise? Try using a kettle ball? Have you been here dr? My legs go numb I can't even stretch, I cant drive in a car, I can't do anything I did 22 months ago I can't even get through a session of PT. I have a neurologist that did 2 nerve tests in 8 months I went from normal to chronic the dr doing the test is not a part of my surgical team that emg showed nerve damage and radiculopathy. MRI showed atrophy to paraspinal, I want to be out of this unrelenting pain that my ortho feels he cant manage anymore but I'm still surgical post op recovery its 9 months now since bone fusion, I've not had one day pain free or where I thought, hmm I might be on the road to getting better... I dread going to bed, driving, sitting to long at the computer. Pain management I don't do well with the try this, try that, lets see what works, my CT scan says bones fusing but at a very slow rate they are trying an external bone stim but I'm latex allergy which I guess they over looked the tabs are latex... but what are we doing to "fix" whats causing the pain. facet hypertrophy, the endplate sclerosis, nerve, and muscle atrophy, my sacrum keeps shifting....what do we do about still treating the patient, not just the pain... FRUSTRATED!!!!! I know what all the conditions are but see no one addressing them....
    This can't be happening