Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Will it be better?

I was diagnosed with herniated discs l4-5-s1 and since then i fall into deep depression,cause I can't do the things I wanna do(play basketball,go to gym..).I don't have sharp pain,only time I have it is when I bend forward but i do have light pain in the foot and calf..Long story short will I be back to my old self or not?I lay in bed 24/7 mostly sleeping..

• PlumbTuckeredOutPlumbTuckeredOut Philadelphia, PAPosts: 325
    "In the olden days" it was suggested that people with back injuries remain in bed all the time. Now the opposite is suggested. Remaining in bed causes the muscles to atrophy and the mood to spiral downward.

You can regain your old life by learning how to move your body in a way to strengthen your muscles and strengthen your back. Did you doctor suggest physical therapy?

Get out and walk, start slowly and move up as you regain strength and comfort. Most importantly, get out of bed even if it's the last thing you want to do!

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less traveled by...... (Robert Frost)
    I still don't know if I should have taken the one that said, "Caution! Dead End" (Me)
  • Sheila is so right about getting out of bed if you just try a little a day moving is so important. I am sorry you are going through this it is really hard when there are such changes to your life. What has your Doctor said and have you told them you are feeling the way you do cause emotional stuff can really add to your problems. It has been helpful to me to have a doctor to talk to and work through some of the feelings I have. It is hard to do that some times we don't want to admit some times we need that help but it can really help a lot. There are a lot of things you can do to help like what is called the Blend on here. It is a list of things you can do to help decrease the pain and that helps our attitude even just a little improvement can give a person a lift. I pray you have family or friends that are talking to you and listening.
    I care and just hope you will start to feel better. If you need someone to talk to send me message and I will be here to listen.
    There are so many wonderful people here to help and support you.
    My prayers are with you
  • Winch526WWinch526 Ottawa, Ontario, CanadaPosts: 13
    Hi P@NK,

There are a few things I picked up on when I read your post.

The first is that it was made in mid-January.  Where do you live? I live in Canada and I can attest to the fact that mid-January in Canada is a very depressing time of year. The days are short, it's cold and there is really nothing to look forward to until March break. I get it. I often feel like I want to slip under the covers and stay there all day. Fortunately, I have a job I have to go to so I have no choice. I'm miserable and sore in the mornings when I wake up, but by the time lunch rolls around, I feel much better for having gone outside, interacted with people, and distracted myself.

The other thing I noticed is that although you have a herniated disc, you still seem to have mobility and no real sharp pain. I can relate. I'm just in pain all the time, but not often with the sharp pain. I find the more I move around the better I feel. I had to make a conscious decision to start being more active. Spasms and flare ups can occur whether I'm active or not, so I figured I might as well enjoy life a bit more.

In any case, talk to your health care provider about the mental stress you are under. They may be able to prescribe a anti-depressant, which often have pain relief functions as side effects. You could kill two birds with one stone!

But seriously, just get up, get a coffee, splash some water on your face, dress warmly, and go for a short walk. Take deep breaths, and talk yourself out of hating winter. If it hurts too much, take a break.

Start really slowly, and I think you'll start to see some changes.