Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Update/more pharmacy trouble

Hi all,
So today I had my monthly follow-up with my PM doctor. I've been on hydrocodone 10-325 and soma 350 mg since being in his care (approx 6 months). Today he switched me to oxycodone 10-325. So I went to the CVS I always go to and was told they'll be out of stock until Monday. I called my doctor to ask what I should do, and they said try a different pharmacy. So, 5 CVS later, they were all "out of stock." One CVS did have it in stock, but the pharmacist refused to fill it because of my prescription for Soma. I explained to him that's the regimen my doctor has me on, but he said again, "I'm not going to fill it because I don't feel like you should be taking them." So I proceeded to try Publix pharmacy, 3 were "out of stock," I finally found a Publix that had it. Absolutely ridiculous. Has anyone else in South Florida (or anywhere else) had this problem?
Normally it wouldn't be a big deal, because I always have extra of my hydrocodone, but this was a first time prescription, and was supposed to start taking it the day it was prescribed.

• Betty65BBetty65 FloridaPosts: 83
    Hello GM12,
    I, too, have had more than enough problems with CVS here in Florida. More than once they have been out of stock or have disputed my doctor's orders, even to the point of loudly arguing on the phone with the doc's office while I stood (embarassed) at the counter. I finally had enough this month after trying to refill my 7.5 hydrocodone and being told at two CVS locations that they were out of stock.

I took my prescription to my local Walgreens and was greeted warmly by the pharmacist! I explained the situation and he assured me I would be taken care of at his location. I am now trasferring ALL of my family's prescriptions to Walgreens.

I suppose it makes sense to go in person and talk to the pharmacist at whichever store you are considering taking your business to, explain your situation, etc. We as legitimate pain patients are also customers at these stores. I will no longer shop at CVS for anything because I was not treated with respect at their pharmacy.

I hope you too can find a good pharmacy in your area.

Take care.
  • I've used only CVS to fill my prescriptions for all of my 15 years being a chronic pain patient. I have seen a steady rotation of new pharmacist coming then going, making it nearly impossible to form any kind of relationship with one or even two trusting pharmacist. When I started, I had the same woman for nearly 7 years. We had a wonderful connection and she was right on top of any changes or issues regarding my scripts. I feel like it is a crap shoot now. They truly have trouble keeping good help up here.
  • I will only use Walgreens. Friendly and accommodating each month!
  • Hope3HHope3 Posts: 752
    edited 01/26/2016 - 3:28 PM
    Oh I cried (that is what I do) after I got so angry calling around a week ago to get my prescription filled and ran into a ------- pharmacist or is it me?
    Prescription is for 6 Endocet a day which yes is a lot a month and his response was what that many? Then he precedes to tell me we only get so many each month with a law passed two years ago and when someone like you comes in and takes that much medication I am sorry but I would rather fill ten people's who come in here wanting a prescription for 10 or 20 each. If it was to me I would not fill your prescription period that is way too much for anyone to take and you should be looking for other ways to control your pain. I told him " you know what I won't even lower myself to respond to your comments you have no clue what pain is and have no right to preach to me and I pray you never loose your all mighty God attitude due to pain" He started to comment and I hung up.
    Really was I wrong to feel that way please be honest and did I deserve that I still get shaking when I think about it. I wanted to see how others felt if he only knew where I am lately it is a good thing I wasn't standing there in front of him.
    It could be the pain effecting my attitude it makes me upset easy I don't know.
  • "You should be looking for other ways to control your pain"? REALLY? You're not wrong for the way you feel about that one. This person is a PHARMACIST. Biiiiiig difference between that title and DOCTOR. You and your doctor are obviously looking for ways to get your pain in check without you having to 1) get flack from a pharmacist about issues that are out of his legal/educational realm of expertise, or 2) deal with the inherent issues that come with having to use these types of meds ON TOP OF having to handle these issues being met with such unprofessional conduct from the pharmacy staff. Ridiculous!
    Kimmy72, Spine-health Moderator
    Firm believer in PMA!
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,476
    edited 01/27/2016 - 1:00 AM
    It sounds like you got hit with that conversation out of nowhere...unexpectantly.
    It's not uncommon to get emotional over things you think are handled and then....are not.

Your pharmacist definitely unprofessional....if for no other, explaining away his preferences on who to serve how many meds to.

I would think pharmacist has questions about dosage or amount, he should call your doctor to double check.
    I would think he'd respond with......we have a call into your doctor. We will call you when your prescription is ready....
    He could then explain all new laws and whatever to your Doctor.
    Can you imagine him speaking to any doctor that way? Yikes!

Doctor did his job, and if pharmacist has questions, I think more smooth to address Doctor, definitely without confrontation with you.
    Heaven forbid it to happen again, but if so, you may want to ask pharmacist to speak with the MD and try to nip it....especially before it becomes personal.

If you have not yet picked up your scripts, you may want to explain situation to the manager...and also ask them to please call doctor to clarify confusion.
    If you did pick up scripts, I would still talk to manager, but personally I would leave doctor out of it....until, heaven forbid, it occurs again.

This incident may also prepare you for future type comments.
    For me, I try not to take it personal or let it get too confrontational.
    But that was with practice from more than a few previous negative......no so great of experiences.

It really isn't personal. He was unprofessional and spoke against you as a patient.
    It's may be best to not get sucked into the arguments...that, in my experience, tend to get off of the topic, the issue, and it's resolution.

That only sucks your energy from healing and is used towards things, not your fault.
    My tendency would be to become angry and cry, also.
    I can cope better that way instead of screaming about it and lose my credibility by things I may say and regret later.

It's been said when a person is unjustly angry, the other person is in control.
    It's just learning how to use that control to benefit all.
    My experience anyway.
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• Thanks for your in-put and right it is not worth it to get up-set but hard at times. There was a funny part to it if he would have looked at the history he would have seen I haven't got those meds for two months and there was no issue with the prescription or dosage he never indicated that. He just wanted to play the God role. I look at them as a car part store or anything else if a customer comes in to get two batteries then he should sell them to them not say "oh someone else might come through the door so I want to save one for them". They (not all of course) are nothing special to me and never will be just another part of the medical world that are completely ignorant of the real world. I would not involve my Doctor no need to, in fact he has told me stories that he has dealt with other patients and he would be furious to hear about it.
    I didn't go there in person I have to call for this medication over the phone a lot of them don't carry it and there will never be any issues with him since poor customer service I don't go back. I agree Savage to a point but then on the other hand not to speak out when treated like that is wrong too and I for one won't tolerate it but will address it in a professional way. If he treats me that way how many others is he treating that way that is the point too. I'll then go home and cry some more and punch the pillow (Ha Ha0.
    Thanks to you both for your response it helps so much.