Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

My First Visit with a Neuro Surgeon

GreyEagleGGreyEagle Posts: 350
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I saw the Neuro Surgeon today my DO had referred me to. My DO said based on MRI's I needed major Cervical Spine Surgery involving c3 thru c7. The Surgeon looked at the MRI's but said they were too fuzzy for him. He said that happens sometimes with Open MRI's.

He ordered CAT Scans done of my Cervical Spine. He said sometimes a mylegram is done but he does not have that done unless absolutely necessary.

He asked me how long I'd been in pain and how bad. He asked me if I thought I needed surgery. I told him 'yes! I have been in pain for a year and a half. I've had x-rays and MRI's done of my elbows and arms. The Orthopedic Surgeon specializing in Elbow Replacement said I had minor arthritis but nothing to write home about in my elbows.

My DO had done nerve conduction tests and concluded I needed neck MRI's.

I like the Neuro Surgeon I am seeing. He seems like he wants to be thorough and see precisely what needs to be done before he does it.

So, I shall continue on disability in the meantime and let you guys know when I know more.

Ken GreyEagle

• Keep us up to date and let us know what happens. Good luck.
  • did the neuro do any kind of examination on you when he saw you because they can tell alot that way as well as seeing the mri's.just wondering :)
  • Actually he didn't. He asked me a few questions. He noted that he read the report my DO sent me specifying I need major neck surgery. He glanced at the report on his computer. He looked at the MRI's briefly and said they were not the quality he was looking for. Then he ordered the CAT SCAN.

He said he sometimes has a mylegram done but only if absolutely necessary.

He did ask me how long I had been in pain and if I thought I needed surgery. I told him I'd been in pain for a year and half now.

Ken GreyEagle
  • Sure will, Bubblegum. It gets kinda frustrating and tiring when things don't happen as fast as we'd like. I've been having this severe pain in my arms and shoulders for going on two years. I've had MRI's of my elbows, EMG of my arms, X-rays, etc. etc.

The Orthopedic Surgeon specializing in elbow replacement only found minor arthritis. My DO found very minor carpal tunnel in my left arm...but the latest MRI's found major problems in my neck. So, waiting another week or two to have a CAT SCAN and finally get surgery going isn't too long to wait. I just get worn out and tired of it all.

Shoot,many of you have a lot worse problems than I do I'm sure or longer standing problems...so I probably shouldn't complain. LOL.

You guys are a great inspiration for me!

Ken GreyEagle
This discussion has been closed.