Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Medrol for severe sciatica?

I have severe sciatica due to ruptured l4-5 compressing l5 nerve root,I feel pain on both sides of my lower back,groin,and right hip,since the location of the herniation is located on the right side 90% of the pain is there,the pain is really bad,stabbing like feeling,I get tingling as well.walking ,standing makes it worse only laying down brings a little relief,my dr prescribed me Medrol for 3 weeks taking 3 pills a day(12 mg) I was wondering if anyone has experience with this I am seeing a neurosurgeon next week to decide if I would need operation.

• L5S1 karmaLL5S1 karma Posts: 30
    edited 01/16/2016 - 1:45 PM
    It will fight the inflamation that is going on and maybe will give you temporary relief. But once is out of your system and you still have that nasty herniation pressing your nerve, i believe the inflamation and sciatica will unfortunatly return. I took after my surgery as my nerve is swelling still and it didnt improve as far as i can tell. Hopefully i am wrong and will do the trick for you. Best of luck.
  • Thanks man,i guess my inflammation must add alot to the pain,i really consider microdisectomy..it's been like 6 months and not getting any better.
  • Please if if start noticing numbness and weakness you might want to consider it seriously. You dont want nerve damage as they can be permanent and will be a new and very painful ball game, even after surgery.