Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Microdiscectomy l4-l5

Aleach77AAleach77 Posts: 8
edited 01/16/2016 - 9:01 PM in Recovering from Surgery
Had surgery Wednesday so on 3rd day post op. I've only been up once a day to walk around about a minute or so. Pain ache in glut and cafe as it was before, just nothing crippling like it was. I can move now without excessive pain. My question is how much should I be up walking. Doc told me to be walking 30 mins or more in 2 weeks. Anyone give me some insight into this
Alan
advertisement

Comments

• LizLiz Posts: 7,904
    Please take the time to read this post and refer to it when you have questions

I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and growing.
    Here are just some of the highlights that are available as tabs on the main Spine-Health menu bar

Spine-Health Main Menu Tabs

Conditions Detailed medical libraries of articles and videos that address almost every spinal condition.
    Treatment List of treatments to the conditions identified by Spine-Health.
    Wellness Section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.
    Medical Articles
    Pain Forums These are the forums you will be using
    Find A Doctor This provides with a method to search for doctors in various locations.
    Videos Index to all Spine-Health Videos

As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here you can meet thousands of people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family[/u] who provide comfort and the advantages of a support system. You are now part of this family that is approximately 27,00 international members and growing daily.

IMPORTANT

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts[u] do not violate any of the rules.[/u]

- All new members must read our FAQ in order to understand the layout of the forums, how to navigate through the forums, helpful terms, how to make effective threads and posts, plus a link index to many of the important medical forums and key medical articles on Spine-Health Forum FAQ

I am positive any member, new or old will find this Chroinc Pain - Step by Step thread very valuable.

Here are some links that all new members need to review to create effective threads and more

Read before you post
    More Info Tips for Newcomers
    Understanding the rules

All of this will help make your threads better and improve the times and quality of responses you will receive.

You can also find Spine-Health on these Social Networks

Facebook www.facebook.com/spinehealth
    Pinterest http://pinterest.com/spinehealth/boards/
    Twitter https://twitter.com/SpineHealth

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the private message facility to[u] contact any one of the Spine-Health Moderators

dilauro

liz

Savage

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • Anyone able to help with my question? I see several people able to walk long distances and time - I'm not able to do so and am hoping someone can help.
    Alan
  • hvillshhvills Suzhou, ChinaPosts: 798
    Alan...

Walk as much as you can tolerate... it's good for you... but don't worry if it's not far. It took me a week before I could get to the end of the hallway at the hospital and that was with a walker. The surgeon has created LOTS of trauma to the insides your body and it will take time to recover. Trust me... nobody jumps out of bed and runs down the hallway 3 days post-op. Just keep adding to what you did the day before each day... and step by step you will get stronger.
    Harry - 63 year old male...
    PLIF L4-L5-S1 due to disc degeneration... May 23, 2013
    PLIF L5-S1 due to failed fusion and broken screw... Jan 19, 2015
    Microdiscectomy, decompression L3-L4 due to herniated disc... Jan 19, 2015
  • I had an L4-L5 Discectomy 3 weeks ago tomorrow. A couple days after surgery I was outside walking. I started slow with maybe .5 mile and progressed from there. I now typically walk 3 miles a day (sometimes every other day). Speaking of which, I need to go walk today.
  • I'm back... has anyone experienced this? As I had posted my walking was limited. I wasn't getting any better and if anything was having more pain to the point I was taking Percocet 10mg every 4 hours. My pain was constant, laying down eased it some but it was still there. Pain in glut down to ankle and when I walked it just increased the level. On 2/4 I contacted doc and discussed so he put me on METHYLPREDNISOLONE 4mg pack. While I was waiting on wife to pick up prescription I was laying in bed on my back and had been for a few hours. When she arrived I moved slightly and felt something in my lower back move. When it did the constant pain in glut and down leg in calf and ankle went away and has not returned. Anyone ever experience this? I talked to doc about 4 days later and he couldn't tell me. i still have 2 issues- standing and sitting causes pretty bad pain. When walking the pain is tolerable. I am winging myself off of the pain meds and should be done with them by Monday night. I do feel like I am getting better just concerned about the standing and sitting pain.  Doc has scheduled me another mri this week with contrast to see what's going on. Anybody have any suggestions?
    Alan
  • GingerellaGingerella New JerseyPosts: 16
    I had a microdiscectomy L5 s1 dec, 18th 2015.
    I had a difficult time with the standing and walking . About 2 weeks after surgery I could do the treadmill for 5 minutes (I wanted to do it every hour for 6 hours to make 30 mins) I was about to do it for every hour for 3 hours. 
    I have started PT last week it seems to be helping with my back. There are good days and there are bad days , yesterday and this morning was a bad day. 

When you say something felt like it moved and you feel no more pain. Sounds like when a chiropractor adjusts someone. I hope that's what happened and it worked for you. I personally never been to a chiropractor. I have always been deathly afraid of them ..lol 

wishing you all the best !!! 
  • Hey Aleach77,
    You and I sound like we're on a pretty similar path! I had L4/L5 discectomy on Jan. 8 (six weeks post-op yesterday) and I've been dealing with pretty constant and pin and needles in my lower left leg and glute ever since. The only relief I get is lying down. I've also been using a heating pad and ice packs pretty regularly for the past 3 weeks, both of which help take the edge off and get my pain more manageable. I am having an MRI with contrast on Monday and getting the results on Friday so I'll let you know what they find out. Who knows! My results may give you an idea of what is going with your recovery. Good luck!
  • chop my leg offcchop my leg off British ColumbiaPosts: 56
    edited 02/22/2016 - 12:01 AM
    Im here too.  2 x  L5S1 disectomy.   Horrible pain in foot 2 months post op. Can't bend ankle and numb foot and calf and some leg pain and occasional glute . .  Back pain is getting worse  MRI with contrast in 3 days.  Nerve  ???   ....  or fusion next ??? :/
    L5S1..2 microdisectomies in 30 days maybe one more on the agenda. 4 bulged discs and one of them loves my spinal canal X2 :/ and a compression fracture . And now scar tissue wrapped around the nerve causing horrible neuropathy all over again.   VICIOUS CIRCLE :(
  • ryan89rryan89 delawarePosts: 1
    I had my 2nd discectomy 2/4/16 at l4-l5. My first one was 8.5 years ago when I was 18 at 14-15-s1. I recovered succesfully from that one but this one is leaving me very worried. Maybe I am just letting it get to my head but i am still feeling pain in my glutes and has anyone else noticed completely cold feet from their pain? I can walk little distances and up and down the stairs about two times a day but I am still feeling pain. I know it's only two to three weeks out but i'm wondering from the people that have had the procedure done again, what they've noticed and how long it's taken them? My first post op appointment is next week
    Yep cold foot.  It's all relative.  

L5S1..2 microdisectomies in 30 days maybe one more on the agenda. 4 bulged discs and one of them loves my spinal canal X2 :/ and a compression fracture . And now scar tissue wrapped around the nerve causing horrible neuropathy all over again.   VICIOUS CIRCLE :(
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,940
    edited 03/23/2016 - 12:35 AM
    Hello ryan89! 
    Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    Sue
    Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

edited 02/27/2016 - 11:39 PM
    Went for my mri with contrast to see why my legs are still burning and my foot is giving me so much grief still.  Scar tissue from the 2 surgeries ia the culprit .  It's wrapped itself completely around the nerve.  He said I will have to probably learn to live with the pain if the scar tissue doesn't dissapate.    He is now sending me to PT to build up my back muscles as I've been laid up since Sept.  He doubts I will ever stand on my toes or get the feeling back in my leg and foot (besides pain)  The trouble I'm having now besides my sore back is my freezing foot and it feels like I have huge marbles in my foot that I'm walking on and last night I couldn't walk at all.  It used to feel like pockets of water or blisters I was walking on.  The marble sensation I think is worse. I feel like there are bands around most my toes trying to cut them off. I wonder if they could just freeze a nerve for good if it doesn't ever heal?  I woke up this morning and could walk again on my foot.  Let's see what tomorrow brings.  So thankful they aren't doing a fusion and at the same time worried now cause my life now just depends on that nerve and so far the little bugger hates me and my surgeon thinks I'm in for the long haul.   I guess today I'm thankful because I actually got to take my tiny dog for a walk down by the lake .  6 months later.... hopefully PT will allow us our life back full time .  Wake boarding is probably not in my near future... guess will see if the marbles decide to stay or dissappear.  I can deal with the rest of the pain im living with now but that one was a real bugger and needs to be fixed if it doesn't go away for good on its own. 
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,940
    edited 03/23/2016 - 12:36 AM
    Hello ryan89! 

Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    Sue
    Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• randersen said:

Hey Aleach77,
    You and I sound like we're on a pretty similar path! I had L4/L5 discectomy on Jan. 8 (six weeks post-op yesterday) and I've been dealing with pretty constant and pin and needles in my lower left leg and glute ever since. The only relief I get is lying down. I've also been using a heating pad and ice packs pretty regularly for the past 3 weeks, both of which help take the edge off and get my pain more manageable. I am having an MRI with contrast on Monday and getting the results on Friday so I'll let you know what they find out. Who knows! My results may give you an idea of what is going with your recovery. Good luck!

Alan
  • Randersen
    I had the mri with contrast on 2/18. Doc called me the following Monday and said that it didn't show any re- herniation that it was inflammation and some scar tissue. I told him I had been walking an hour a day broke down into 3 or 4 intervals. Anyways we discussed pt and I told him I wanted another week to see if I can progress some more on my own. I'm still walking the same but have been able to sit in chair or on couch longer. Standing time is a little better but not where I can stand for more than 5 minutes in same place. With the additional sitting up and standing my pain has increased hopefully it's working out inflammation and not letting scar tissue form. 
    I think I am going to talk to doctor about starting pt. I don't think I am where I need to be in this so far. 

Alan
    Alan
  • I forgot to add I am having lower back pain that I did have before is another reason why I am talking to Doctor about pt.
    Alan
  • Checking in to give update- still dealing with a little glut pain but main issue is calf and ankle pain. I can walk on treadmill for 25 mins and not really be in much pain. The pain is when I am walking with any support. I started pt 2 weeks ago twice a week. After first 2 sessions I had a follow appointment with my ns- he decided that I need to get an emg done. So I go tomorrow morning to find out hoe my nerves and muscles are in my leg. Should tell me if I still have compressed nerve. I think the pt is helping I just want this pain to go away so I can get back to normal life.
    Alan
advertisement