Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

2nd week home and in more pain than the 1st

MelcorMMelcor Posts: 85
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am in so much pain today! I did not sleep all night. I am in more pain this week than last week.

Mel :(


  • im 2 weeks today post op saying that 2day and yesterday i ve been fine i havent slept a full nite yet so i know what thats like im a single mother of three and need my sleep to deal with kids i just hope this is going to be so worth it in the end hope u feel better soon xx
  • well not pain free but can manage it today no pain releif yet still trouble sleepin though xx
  • Oh Mel, I am soo sorry you are hurting soo bad;( What have your Drs said about the pain??
  • My first five days out of surgery were *much* better than the ten days that followed them. Since then... I have had good and bad days, but in general... am slowly starting to feel better (six weeks post op). Keep your chin up, hopefully it will all work out in the end =)
  • I felt much better last week and even yesterday with the exception of my leg. I go see my doc and I will see what he says.

    Good luck Polly! Everyone is different. Like I said I have had better days right out of the hosptial, than today.

    Punker- Good to know and expect.

    I'll keep you posted.

  • Thanks Mel, I will be looking in to see how you are doing;):)

  • Chris had so much pain in the 10 days that followed surgery that the OS had a CT scan done before we left Raleigh to return to Atlanta just to make sure everything was alright. At 10 days, the OS put him on a steroid dose pack and started him on Lyrica 75mg 3xday. It seemed to help with the unbearable pain and allowed Chris to move. He's still on the Lyrica. He tried to come off it at 10 weeks or so and had increased pain so he went back on it and focused on tapering narcotics instead. He plans to try to get off the Lyrica again once he's gotten further down on the narcotics.

    I hope you can get control of the pain soon. Terri
  • Hi Mel,

    It's unfortunately very common to have these ups and downs, but if at any time the pain gets unbearable or feels different than before, you should always contact your doctor. Otherwise, just be prepared to take 3 steps forward and 2 steps back at times. It's incredibly difficult to stay positive when you've had a few good days then suddenly you're right back down there again, but it's completely normal - especially in the early days. Hang in there, it WILL get better! Hugs, Spicey
  • Hi Mel,

    I hope your legs feel better soon; I went to the emergency room 13 days after surgery because the pain below my knees had become so back (no pain in back or surgery site). After extensive testing, my surgeon learned everything was perfectly in place. I went home with a medrol/ prendnisone dose pak and my legs felt great the next morning, and have since been able to walk on average 2 1/2 to 3 miles daily.

    Yesterday was my last 5 mg dose of prednisone, so today will be a kind of test for me (I'm 27 days out ALIF).

  • First, I just want to say, what is happening to you as far as your pain is absolutely normal. Frustrating as it is, you're really early on!!! Patience, patience, patience....you're going to have A LOT of pain for atleast a couple of months, and especially with sleeping. Ask your doc for a sleeping aid like Ambien. He'll give it to you.

    At two weeks following my three level fusion, L-3,4,5 S-1, it was absolutely UNBEARABLE!!! I cried atleast EVERYDAY from the on-going pain. I've said it 100 times, "I'd rather give birth to 10 children than go through this". I was absolutely doped up 24-7. I'd wake up every two hours when trying to sleep, and take another one.

    The pain takes it's time in going away. Sorry... I am now going into my 24th week post-op, and am still taking about 3 percocets a day.

    Do everything you can to help your pain. Pillows become your best friend. I would have a pillow between my knees, hold one, and roll a towell up to place in the nape of my lumbar, no matter if I was laying on my side, or what. It seemed that if I kept my whole vertebrea as straight as I could while lying down, it helped. Also, laying on ice numbing it would help. But the biggest help was pain killers. Don't try to be tough and think "I hate them, and don't want to do them", that was my mistake. But if you're not concentrating on your pain 24-7, you'll heal faster.

    Also, I hope you have a toilet riser, shower seat, a grabber, a walker, or a cane, AND someone helping you. You're really early on and need as much help as you can get!!

    I guess the biggest thing is ACCEPTING that you just had MAJOR surgery, and to absolutely baby yourself, and don't be too proud to ask for help, and patience, patience, patience. It took my fusion 20 weeks to finally show fusion. And just keep talking to all of us on SH, cause there's tons of support. Keep your chin up, everything IS GOING TO BE OK. :)
  • Hi,

    I'm 13 days postop and man, I'm beginning to think my surgery has made me worse or something isn't right too. I had my doctor's appt two days ago and they just bragged on me and refilled my meds, gave me a PT order for next week. To be honest, I feel like I'm in back labor. It's a all-over aching in the low back, sometimes it focuses more on my left hip. Even the pain meds don't really touch it. I count the minutes to my 4 hour dosage. I am up and walking around, doing small things, with my brace on. I had an ALIF on L4/L5 with cages and BMP. I've had ligment pain in my left leg from the surgery, making it weak so I'm gimping when I walk. Wondering if that is causing the pain in the back. It's oh so much more worse first thing in the morning or if I sit in something other than a stiff chair. I kept asking if just cages were enough to keep my spine stable and not cause problems...they just ignored me on that question and said come back in 4 weeks and get xrays. ARGH!

    I'm glad several have responded that the period after is the worst and it does get better. I don't have much patience and you just hope for no pain!!!
  • I forgot.... When you're up to it, the best thing for healing faster is walk, walk, walk..... You'll notice changes weekly, (not dailey) It may start out slowly like you can only do your driveway at first, DON'T PUSH IT!! Listen to your body. But walking really gets things healing faster... good luck...
  • Hi Everyone!


    I went to the NS yesterday and I'm not sure if I mentioned this or not but I have been running a temp of 99.5 this week. I didn't call b/c on the paper it said over 102. Apparently by back is infected. He scraped the incision sites in the office OUCH!!!! and put me on antibiotics for two weeks. I also will have a visiting nurse coming to the house. As far as the lump in my leg goes he does not think that it is related to my back at all, he thinks that it is a reaction to one of the probes that was on my leg during surgery (7hrs). I still have the lump and cannot lift my leg more than 45 degrees without severe pain. I have weakness in my rt leg well and my reflexes were very poor. He said that in the ct scan the day after surgery once of the screws showed to be very close to a nerve. He said that if I do not show improvement with the (weakness &reflexes) we may have to go back in at some point and re adjust the screw. As far as the meds go I am going to go back to my primary for that. I made an appt for Monday. It's closer and I have a better relationship as far as that is concerned- she was handling them pre-surgery and I would like her to handle them post as well. My surgeon is not quite as compassionate when it comes to meds.

    Sorry for the long post! Thank you everyone for all of your support, you have been wonderful to me.


  • Oh Mel, that is soooo wonderful that you found out what was going on!!! Now you are back on the "recovery road" :)

    Keep us posted,K?:)
  • its good you caught it when you did, and i had a fusion l4 l5 and s1 and my right leg is still weaker than my left and july 27 it will be 5 months, ive been released from the Dr at 31/2 months post op and feel like its the best choice i ever made...so hang in there
    there is life after surgery...
  • I am 11 days post-op ALIF L5-S1. You could have written my name on your post. Terrible low center back ache and muscle burning left hip.

    Can't sleep. Never had problems sleeping before. My surgeon thinks I'm fine. He is probably right, but at night when I am suffering I am just praying that I can sleep again someday.

    I know it is early, I have read all kinds of stories. I can be patient, just worried.
  • kartracer, Candle99

    Hope you feel better soon and are able to get some rest tonight.

  • Glad that you saw the doctor and took care of the infection.
    2-3 weeks out were the hardest for me. My legs hurt terribly and I overall felt terrible. It did get better! It is so hard to be patient when you feel miserable but things will improve, hang in there!
  • I'm so sorry to hear your having so many complications with your sugery. I hope you have some help at home with the kids and the housework.
    As far as my progress it's been coming along well. My husband bought a treadmill last night for me so I could get my walking in and not worry about falling outside or the heat. I'm making my way up to a mile today on it. Half a mile twice a day.
    I dont go to the surgeons for another month and he said I should be walking a mile by then.
    Anyway, I hope you start feeling better very soon.

    Sending good wishes your way,

    Christina :)
  • I'm feeling overall better today. I called te doctors to aske about the shower yesterday and they didn't call me back until a little while ago- well they called 1/2 hr too late I finally took one b/c they did not call me back. I covered in in waterproof covering so I should be alright but what the heck!!!

    Anyway the nurse should show up at some point- still have not heard on the front.

    I'll keep you updated!

Sign In or Register to comment.