Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pool / Water/ Aqua Therapy

cindy4hopeccindy4hope Posts: 25
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Alternative Treatments
Hi, I was wondering if anyone here has tried Pool Therapy and if it helped you at all. I am suppose to start next week, and was just wondering if it was worth it, I guess I sure don't have anything to loose. I had a micro discectomy on May 5th of this year, it's been almost three months now and the pain has returned. Not sure it ever left it just wasn't as bad as before the surgery. It's getting worse, and I'm running out of options, I got another steroid injection yesterday hoping it eases the pain some. scitica is terrible it makes you sick all over, I'm trying to stay posiitve that one of these conserative messures will work and I won't have to go through another back surgery.

I think the doctor suspects scar tissue build up, or a fragment could possible be floating in there compressing the nerve again. I appreciate your comments.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,859
    Hi Cindy,

For a Spine-Health Site introduction, Click on :

Welcome To Spine-Health

If you have any questions, feel free to contact (PM) any one of the Moderators here Priestess , Bruce , Paulgla, DiLauro

The Spine-Health Web site offers so much more than these Member Forums.
    Check the various tabs at the top of the Spine-Health page and you will find so much that is offered here.

Please feel free to contact me at rdilauro@gmail.com or send me a message

I had Aqua Therapy for almost a year. It was mostly for my thoracic discs, but it did wonders for my lumbar problems also. I was going twice a week for 45 minutes each time.
    In the beginning, it was so hard, it was rougher for me than land therapy. But slowly I started to see the results.
    Sessions included:
    - Multiple types of stretches
    - Walking
    - Mild Paddle Resistance
    - Water Bicycles
    I had such good results, that when my Aqua Therapy sessions were done, I switched over to an Independent Program at the same pool. It was not covered by Insurance, but for $50 a month I was able to use the pool 2x week for 2-3 hours each time. I no longer was under the care of a physical therapist, but there were physician technicians available, plus the therapists were also there and since they knew me i I had questions they would help. The water temperature is always about 92 degrees, the pool ranges from 3 foot to 4 1/2 feet it is about 25 fee wide by 75 feet long. No swimming, just aqua therapy.
    I think it has been one of the better exercises that I could have done.
    I had to stop almost a year ago because I developed a strange rash and was not allowed in the pool.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Hi, was just wondering if any of you had tried aqua therapy?? I'm suppose to start tomorrow and was just wondering what to expect. I got a steroid injection two days ago, but have been told it takes a while to kick in. have had epidural steriod injections which did nothing. I went for PT and still doing my stretches faithfully everyday but can't see a big difference, but will still continue to do them.

I had a micro discectomy on May,5th so I know it hasn't been that long almost three months. just thought the burning,sharp shooting pain down the back of the leg and into the foot would have calmed down by now, but the surgeon says if I was going to see some relief I should have by now.

They have suggested that it might be scar tissue build up, or even a fragment floating around in there pressing on a nerve. I had a MRI when I was 6-7 weeks post op but all it showed was some fluid build up and they could just see a small scar but that was early out of surgery.

So now they are sending me for the pool therapy and if doesn't relief any of the pain, then she will order another MRI and go from there. it's very discouraging after going through surgery and still dealing with pain.

don't think I metioned my problem is at L4/L5.

• Hi, Have any of you tried the McKenzie method/exercises? I was talking to a Pt that goes to my church and she suggested I get with my PT and do the McKenzie exercises. I'm going to try to find his newest book and read all I can about lower lumbar pain/sciatica.

I was suppose to start aqua therapy today, but insurance requires me to pay a co-pay everytime I go, and that could add up fast so I had to cancel. Now I'm looking for something that I can do on my own with the right instruction of course. calling my PT this morning and hoping there is other exercises that might help. I have developed foot pain, it's more in my heal, is painful when I walk and it just aches. could this be another level in my lower back? thanks for your support.

• :) HI! there is just nothing better or kinder than being in the pool. there is no stress on the joints and allows for pain free movement. don't give up on your aqua therapy and even walking in the water can be good for you. keep us informed. Jenny :)
  • The water is my best friend without a doubt. I started water therapy (hydrotherapy) 7 years ago and have done it on and off since then depending on affordability.
    In summer I do the exercises at my mums pool (could teach them by now) and it makes such a difference.
    Afer my fusion my first question to the surgeon was when can I start hydro. He said I had to wait 2 weeks. Grrrrr

I now go 3 times a week and would go each day if I could but I am on w/comp and they set the rules.

I do walking, stretches, marching, squats and tippy toes, gentle leg swings, step ups. resistance with paddles, biclying and just the pure heaven of floating.
    Takes about an hour to get through them all and if I can I will stay in the pool for an extra 30 mins (hiding from the PT. }:)

Aqua days are definitely the best days of my week.

• cindy- My dr always recommends aqua therapy and I exercise with one of those small tubular flotation devices. I got it from the dollar tree. I call it my binky. :)
    I waterwalk using it to balance myself, try tip toes, doggy paddle, do kicking exercises front and back and mild stretching using the flotation device. It helps to have warm water like a heated pool. jade
  • I have been really struggling, physically and emotionally since my surgery at the end of April. My surgeon told me I was doing too much,to stop my exercises and to go to the pool every day and walk for 20-30 minutes. I am now half way through the second week, now holding a float for additional resistance. It is extremely boring and crossing between swimmers doing lengths is like trying to cross a highway, but I think it is helping. You need to be chest high in the water and the idea is to strengthen the core muscles. I still have quite a lot of muscle and nerve pain bit I'm sure I'm getting my core muscles re-activated. I will certainly persevere with it.
    Hope it helps others too
  • :) Brian, you are certainly doing the right thing by swimming your way through recovery. you are fortunate you are able to correct what you have done from overdoing it. that is the most common mistake i see people in recovery do. some are not so fortunate as to be able to recover from their mistakes. please just let time be on your side,don't rush and you will see progress in no time. good luck and follow your doctor's orders this time. there may not be a next!! Jenny :)
  • brian- I noticed that I had been pushing my luck in the pool. I realized that I am twisting when I try to swim a lap in the pool. The next day I could barely walk from the pain.
    So watch out for the other swimmers and be careful of twisting.
    Mine really started after the L3-L4 disc problem with slight nerve impingment.
    I scaled it way back and I am keeping my spine straight and balanced and no twisting. I just walk in a circle waist high with a float to balance. So far it has not caused me to freeze up in pain the next day... :? jade
  • Hello Jade
    did your surgeon tell you it was OK to actually swim? My surgeon said no swimming yet, just walking straight legged lifting them high on each step. It is so boring. I'm walking across in between all the others doing lengths - maybe I'll try circles just for something different now. I reckon if they had a "walking in the water" event in the Olympics I'd be right in there after 4 weeks of this!
    I'm going for another follow up and more x-rays on Friday so maybe I can do something else now.
    Still need pain killers after 4 months and still feeling pretty awful especially as the day goes on.
  • brian- I was told by my PM dr to increase activity in the pool. She says it is gentle on the joints and less pounding to my spine. She tells me to hold the side of pool and do kicks as well as water walking. I discussed the laps and she is OK with it as long as I don't hurt myself.

My swimming is really my holding onto a float and doing the doggie-paddle. Nothing too extensive as I just try to swim laps and I think I was twisting so I am more careful. I do not try to swim without a floatation device as I get some muscle spasms and it could be dangerous in the water.. :))) jade
  • I don't have any pt but my sister has a pool and i know tht when I get in I hurt alittle that night but the next day my feet and legs feel soooooooooooooo much better. Just for a day or so though.
  • Hi

I too go to the pool and exercise. I've not had an op, just trying to live and strengthen the muscles.

Today I worked 3 hours (mostly sitting with a stretch every hour) and was stiff when I left. I went to the pool and did my little routine - below - and felt a whole lot better this afternoon.

I hold onto the steps (side too high) and do back kicks, then cycle legs and a little swim. Breast stroke is all I can do, but that does tend to bend the spine, so only a couple of lengths then more kicks, cycles, walking backwards, etc

As I have a lot of movement I also can do 'crunches' Hold onto the steps with feet on the bottom rung. Then uncurl legs to the back and then bring them back in to the step. Sort of reverse crunches but good for the core.

Brian - don't try the above yet, but if you look on the www I'm sure you will find other gentle movements you can do

Good luck
  • Cindy4hope, I know those PT co-pays can add up fast. Just wondering if you could go to 1 or 2 sessions to learn the exercises, then maybe you could join a gym or ymca with a pool and do them on your own. I went to water PT 20 sessions last year, and the exercises were always the same, just more repetitions were added as time went on. Since last spring I joined the local YMCA and just go in and do my routine in the therapy pool. It is 93 degrees and it got me through the 5 months prior to my fusion on Aug 5. My NS says I can get back at it now at 2 weeks post-op, haven't been yet but hope to soon. My co-pays were $20 a visit, a membership is $45/month, so much cheaper. Just a thought, as the warm water is awesome, and provides a gentle work out for core strengthening. Sue
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,859
    I don't know if you have a smiliar situation where you get PT and Aqua Therapy.
    I went to a Rehab Center that had both. I did the land PT and then Aqua PT. After about a year of that (No co-pay, 100% coverage from my Insurance provider) I stand on in the pool
    in a 'Independent Program' Like it was mentioned once you know the routines, you can do them yourself. This program cost $50 a month, the local Y was $42. But at the Y I had to schedule time I could use their heated pool.
    Water therapy is one of the best for spinal patients. As long as you know what to do and what NOT to do, it is helpful
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com