Hello - I have posted in the surgery forums, but thought this was the best place to get advice. I had C5-C7 ACDF March 2015. Prior to surgery I had pain with severe left sided weakness of upper & lower extremities. The weakness greatly improved over the next few months however the pain returned, but different from before the surgery. The pain was not in my extremities but in my neck and upper back. After several courses of oral steroids, I decided to see a pain management doctor at the same facility that did my surgery. I was started on Tramadol and got a cervical ESI and was told to follow up in 2weeks. At the next visit I told the doctor I got little if any relief from the ESI and the Tramadol made me feel physically ill with muscle aches and nausea. He assured me it would improve and scheduled me for another ESI. I got my second ESI and over the next few weeks I did seem to adjust to the Tramadol however i did not get much relief so I did not immediately get my refill. When I did get the refill the symptoms started over, again my doctor said I would adjust, but 2 days later I had a seizure and went to the ER. At the ER I was given a battery of tests including a urine screen that tested positive for PCP!! The ER doctor did not immediately believe me when I told him I was not doing PCP. I told him I could probably find cocaine or Heroin if I really wanted to, but who knows where to get Angel Dust in 2016?? After much instance that I was not doing PCP as well as a google search on my iphone that turned up several reports of seizures on Tramadol as well as positive urine screens for PCP for people on Tramadol he admitted that Tramadol and PCP had similar chemical structures and that Tramadol combined with the Wellbutrin I am on can could be the cause of the seizure.
So where do I go from here? Do I go back to the same pain management doctor that put me on this medication? I am obviously not going back on Tramadol but I am a little scared to start Opiates. Oxycodone is the only one that ever helped. Hydrocodone is worthless. Should I try another doctor that might put the ESI at a different level of the spine? Or should I go back to my surgeon? Any advice or similar experiences out there?