Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Sciatica and pain on bowel motion/groin pain?

I am a 28 year old female in the uk.

I had a fall on 25/12 and then on 28/12 i woke up and couldn't move my left leg.
Been to my GP x 4 times and out of hours x 1. They have just stated i have sciatica and to wait 6-10 weeks before they will refer me for ANYTHING at all.

My symptoms are;
Loss of reflex in left ankle
Unable to tip toe with left foot
Numbness of left outer hip, left back of calf, left heel and left 2 small toes.
Initially thigh pain, now calf pain
OCCASIONALLY my lower left back will go numb.
Pain on lifting left leg when sat down
Generally i do not have back pain or a shooting pain on my leg unless i lift it high or move it from sitting position.

New symptoms this week;
Pain down left leg on bowel movement
left groin pain,
Hypersensitivity on outer leg - sleeping is becoming a nightmare.

I have seen an osteopath who feels i have more piriformis based problems due to little pain in my back and my range of movement but no actual diagnosis. I work a job which involves me standing for long periods of time and bending/lifting so I am being referred through them to our in house physiotherapy but i await them arranging it.

I am obviously concerned, even when the GP isn't. Is it normal to have pain on opening bowels and the new groin pain with Sciatica is my question? I am obviously able to control bowel and bladder so GP previously were not concerned about cauda equina.

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,476
    edited 01/20/2016 - 7:20 AM
    Newer symptoms to me are the numbness of lower back and buttocks, thigh, calf and burning of heel and big toe.
    It is not constant.
    I already have the long time, chronic pain, of these and other areas

A long time symptom has been the groin pain. It's not always there, but when there, it is quite painful.
    My effected areas most severe on my right side.

My pain management doctor said my symptoms, I listed above, was related to my lower spine issues.
    I had epidural about two months ago, and that did help somewhat to lessened the severity...took edge off.

My experience is in getting a diagnosis, of what is wrong and causing your pain, can take time.
    Also, finding what provides relief can be trial and try again.

When working with your therapist and Doctor, you may want to double check with them on any limitations or restrictions with activities.
    Any limitations does not necessarily mean a forever thing, but may be helpful in resting and healing whatever is causing your pain.

In meantime, well for me anyway, if an activity is causing me pain, I stop.
    I look at my pain as a reminder of my limitations.

Hang in there...

Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• Thank you for the reply.

I know that i am very new to having these issues compared to many others so I look to here for some better advice/opinions than others may offer before i get the answers through referrals etc, so thank you for the reply.

Whilst its reassuring to hear it can be normal for the groin pain, i am also worried that i am developing new symptoms and have to wade it out for longer. I am sorry to hear that you have had it for a long time and still receive new symptoms also. The groin pain is the most painful bit i have experienced so far despite the cramps of the muscles i am experiencing all the time.

I am hoping the symptoms get better rather than worse and i am worried about treatment options as i previously had a baby 9 months ago and my epidural went very wrong and they said i should never have one again.

I think you are exactly right in the, if it causes pain then its too much. I do need to take that advice.

Thank you again for your reply and i do hope you gain relief from your symptoms as soon as able.