Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Help Bursitis please

I went to a doctor yesterday and he thinks I have bursitis in my left hip so wants to do an injection. The last apt. I had with him he thought it was my SI joint so I had injections at that time that did not help. The thing is I did some reading on the internet and it says nothing about pain in the butt, lower back, upper leg, waist and groin as symptoms of Bursitis. I also read that they can confirm it with an ultra-sound which I have not had.
Just wondering if you do have it was it found through an ultra-sound and what helped you please.
I have in the past and on-going had issues with my stomach and that doctor did not want me to have anymore steroids. But you know if it will help the pain I will risk it just want to make sure I have done everything before jumping to that injection.
Thanks for your help

• itsautonomicitsautonomic LouisianaPosts: 1,804
    edited 01/20/2016 - 9:45 AM
    Do you have any catching feeling in that hip?
    Do your due dilegence, trust you know your body and question everything if it does not fit. Advocate for yourself and you will be suprised what will be revealed trusting your body and instinct.
  • Thanks always for your help. No I don't have any but I cannot straighten it out without severe pain in the left butt area. That is a tender spot that aches and if I do anything at all it just screams. I did a lot of reading here and research and was so sure it was the SI joint but nothing shows on the MRI or X-rays and I want to trust the Doctors so much at this point. But so confused I get one thing from one and another thing from another which we know it is hard to diagnose. I just don't want to put anymore steroids in my body if I don't have to, I don't react well to them.
    To tell you the truth I am in just a panic mode just don't know what direction to go.
    Sorry I go on but this Doctor said it was the SI then the Back Surgeon he works with said I had a tear in that hip so they sent me to have an injection in the hip. It was horrible did zero to help the pain and his comment was "I don't see any tear but we will inject anyway and then he said it is back related" so then back to the back Doctor's. Now they say it is the SI or faucet plus the hip issue.
    Wow did that make sense in pain or maybe now I tend to go on so forgive me.
    Thanks so much again and any in-put would be appreciated.
    By the way I am reading that article on President Kennedy and the rest it is fascinating.
    Thanks Sherri
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,836
    The formal diagnosis was Bursitis in the left hip along with a problem with my Iliac Crest and potential piriformis muscle problem.
    Aaron, as you said, so many times when I first get up, it feels like my hip Do you have any catching feeling in that hip? After walking a bit
    that stops.

Problem I have is two fold.
    1) The doctor only order a medrol pack for me, and that was only after my wife and I basically told him that that should help at a minium
    2) The fact that this doctor is a friend, its hard to tell him that I really need an injection. The medrol pack didnt do the trick

So, right now, its lots of ice, hours of tens units, sleeping sideways on the couch, volatran gel. I dont see this getting better and its already been 3 1/2 weeks.

Bursitis, can be a real tough animal to get rid of
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
    I only ask because if you guys remember I was told for two years that I had bursitis causing hip pain but it was a torn labrum in hip. That's why I asked about the catching. Mine continued to get worse with all the treatments for bursitis and the catching I was having wasn't consistent as I could reproduce that catching and then popping with relief after.
    Hope when the doctor said I don't see a tear was it an MRI and if so was there contrast used? That is the only way to see tear in hip joint. My intitial MRI didn't pick it up until had contrast. Just my story may not have any bearing on you guys issues.
    Do your due dilegence, trust you know your body and question everything if it does not fit. Advocate for yourself and you will be suprised what will be revealed trusting your body and instinct.
  • I have written this three times first time too long, second little bent finger deleted too funny so here I go again.
    I had no idea I know you both deal with or have dealt with bursitis too, so much and I hope you know how much I appreciate your help.
    Ron your description of what you go through sleeping etc. is exactly what and how I handle it except for the Medrol pack I had never heard of that before. I am at the point like I said so frustrated and just want to gain all I can so I can intelligently talk to and seek out whatever I can do to improve my life. I feel like a baby sometimes so many are strong and deal with so much more than I do. This isn't but is about me but more is my Grandson I need to improve for his sake.
    Before this I had 12 years of upper, lower and sciatic pain and this current pain now and then but not the burning and tenderness.
    This stuff with my hip, butt, leg were there now and then in the past but in the last few years it has just got crazy. The injection two years ago, hit in the pelvis/butt as a pedestrian, fall in driveway and then after gallbladder surgery it just spiraled. Before those two years I had upper/low back and sciatica some other stuff so this is a whole new ball game and a pain that is so different.
    If you both would please tell me how they diagnosed your Bursitis and was the pain besides the hip in the upper part of your leg tender to the touch? It burns too I want to scream when anything touch's these areas. It also feels like maybe my bowels are some how involved crazy but it feels like weight or pressure. I don't have a catch but my leg won't straighten out without intense pain in the butt area and no one can explain that.
    I decided to go to this group so doctors who specialize in back pain a Surgeon, Gp specialized in several procedures and they have another one that does injections.
    Back Surgeon: MRI (no contrast) and x-rays he said he saw nothing cysts, slightly curved spine, arthritis, DDD go TP come back after. he did a trigger shot in the tender spot in the butt. Hurt like hell for the following week did no pain relief.
    TP she put me up on a stretch table that ended quick pain down the leg into the foot. She said no more it has to be a disk issue I will send a report to the surgeon.
    GP he agreed SI joint, EKG no damage sent to do injections and TP.
    Injections: two and about three days or so of a little relief. He suggested seeing one of two doctors in Ut. that specialize in SI joint.
    TP I selected him for his expertise in SI he said he was not convinced gave me exercised to do at home and go to a arthritis pool class. I did and it was alright until I did the cross country and all hell broke loose. He said I should have went to the other class and not done that exercise. He said walk only come back in a few months.
    Surgeon: He said there is a tear no mention of that in the first apt. go to Orthopedic. He gave me a unguided injection said no tear and hip except for a little arthritis looks good it has to be disk.
    I had enough my husband was bent and so then I went to new pain clinic I posted about that experience and won't go back. I did get cleared for no depression yeah. Funny between this and my Mom's death I am and am seeing a doctor for that.
    So I decided to go back to this group the GP just to wrap it up and he this time well you know so now I don't know what to do. He did bring up Fibro this is not Fibro.
    Do you have stomach issues I think you both do my memory have you ever been told steroids are out. I will get them if I even think it will help.
    My GP who is my family doctor has continued to control my pain meds and I have tried tons of other meds will in time stop prescribing them cause their office does not take on chronic pain. I have to find a pain doctor now and get this under control.
    Sorry wow this is long I have no words to express my thanks
    I had irritation in hip secondary to torn labrum, when they fixed that I healed and been fine ever since. The torn labrum caused hip and back pain , ankle, knee pain mainly cause I was walking wrong as my hip joint couldn't function as it should with torn cartiledge.
  • Hope3HHope3 Posts: 751
    edited 01/21/2016 - 7:56 AM
    I am glad that at least that problem has been resolved for you. How did they find it with what kind of test and was it tender to touch radiating to other areas like my doctor says it can? I bought a cane and a insert for my shoe I thought I was irriating it too since I had balance issues but neither one helped. I do have like a pinch in the hip when I walk maybe that is a catch of some kind.
    It was simple as a movement to reproduce symptoms and contrast added to MRI to verify ( mainly traveling to better doctor who diagnosed it in a day), then surgury and running same week. Went on 2 years so yes very tender in a lot of areas just due to compensation. I have accelerated arthritis in the knee and ankle on that side just due to going so long walking funny. Many times tendinitis and bursitis come from overuse, but also can come from compensation if the normal function is impaired, my " bursitis" and tenderness all but disappeared after surgury. Easiest surgury I've ever done , but again that's just all my story and may have no similarities to yours , read about it . I knew instantly reading that I had torn labrum when I came across symptoms I just needed dr to perform proper testing. I just had a glaring red flag that pointed to it, a child could have diagnosed it. I suggested it at that visit and he said let's check and just with movement reproducing pop and relief, he said yep torn labrum but he had to do MRI for insurance reasons before surgury. I was lucky as he had did quite a bit of those surgeries. A different doctor not agreeing with my first Drs 2 year bursitis diagnosis saying it was ridiculous actually went over him in their shared practice to refer me upon my persistence to someone he trusted out of state and ended up right reasearch leading to meeting with right doctor is a beautiful thing, I have referred every person I know with hip issues to him and all had good results, a good doctor is their own best salesman with word of mouth. Matter of fact talked to him other day and he had hip replaced and back to work in no time helping others with hips, I am pretty grateful ito him f you can't tell. i haven't had pain or spent a dime on Drs for hip since 06.
    Don't want to sound boastful or imply going over Drs heads , but I took a very educated approach to a gut feeling and sought out second opinion after reasearch. That was were self advocacy became a part of my life.
    Sorry hope I got way off track on that one ( I ramble about close to heart things) but i was happy with way it all turned out.
  • And didn't need an ultrasound to diagnose it. They have me injections of lidocaine and steroids and they helped immensely.

• Hi
    That is what I just want to make sure is that I have been diagnosed correctly as much as possible before the injections. There is so much that can be a contributor making it difficult for Doctor's to figure it out. What kind of symptoms did you have and how did they decide it was that please. I will for sure get the injections I had some last year one did help a little in the SI joint but I only had one trigger point I guess it was in the hip which made it worse.
    Wow this is more common than I thought did your pain go away for that Sandi I read and Ron mentioned it is difficult to get rid of.
    Any in-put would be really appreciated.
    Thanks Sherri
    Hope3, I would also ask "why" for the reason they think you have bursitis, is it age, overuse, compensation from other health issues, underlying anatomical issue, internal inflammation in that area, degeneration etc etc. . If you cannot correct the underlying issue it may come back to haunt you , but may just be something have to live with and treat time to time.. You have a tough case not wanting steroids, they were a big red flag when they did not work for my early "bursitis" diagnosis for any amount of time after initial effect wore off. But my mom says they work wonders for her bursitis in shoulders.
    He thought it was SI so did injection, nope. Now he is diverting to next logical choice , bursitis and going to do injection. What is to be injected next if this does not work? Seems like he needs to explain more to you and let you know next step if this injection does not work since you have issues with steroids.
  • I am going to make another apt. I have decided I have too many questions that have not been answered for one I want that Back Surgeon to show or mark on the x-ray exactly where the tear is that he saw. I hadn't thought of some of the questions you mentioned Aaron so that is really helpful and I am going to ask all of them plus some more after reading a ton last night. What did you mean it was a big red flag when the steroids did not help? I did have that injection (not guided) into my hip by the Orthopedic surgeon and it made it worse no relief do you think that is an indication it may not be Bursitis? I do have stomach issues and my stomach doctor said no more steroids but I have had two injections since. I begged for the one just to try to get some relief and I would get 10 now if I thought it would help. You know I just don't feel like they have looked at it as deep as they should before going there. I am still confused as to weather or not a MRI or X-ray can find every tear or bursitis? I know gee she is nuts right but I know you have been through a ton of this trying to get to answers.
    So exactly take it one step at a time SI joint injection did not help now what and referred pain in the lower back, knee, groin, waist, hip all from Bursitis I read so much last night and never found all those symptoms under Bursitis but I may be the odd ball. All right I will end this I tend to rant but do they if you know find a SI joint problem with one injection or two or are there cases where it was never found with that test? I am going through one of those weeks of just forget it I hate those moods.
    Thanks to all of you for giving me your advice and ideas I appreciate it immensely.
    edited 01/23/2016 - 9:27 AM
    It was a red flag because it is usually the go to treatment that works for bursitis, it decreased some inflammation no doubt but results were not significant .
    They did not imply that an X-ray would show labrum tear for me it took the MRI with contrast ( I've had torn labrum repair and took this in both right shoulder and hip). That was in 06.
    Talked to a girl who works with my girlfiiend last nite and she said same they are attempting injection to see if helps if not a scope will be done to repair the tear. She has had back pain, hip pain and groin pain she does not have the catching to point I did but they saw tear with contrast MRI
  • I made an apt with the Doctor who is doing the injections to discuss exactly what you said and I did some reading it does not make sense to do more injections when I already did them without further testing that is available. I think they are jumping the gun and I also want to know exactly where that tear is that the surgeon saw. See that girl is stating the same exact symptoms I have and the more I read the more it points to that. These doctors all work together and they tell me and on their web-sit that they meet weekly to review their patients progress yet I found out from two of them that is not the case they are too busy. I just want them to be honest and not tell me things that are not true like those meetings.
    So thanks so much for your help and if it takes the injections I will do them for sure or whatever it takes.
    Take care
    No problem Sherri I hope it ends up being something that can be easily treated.