Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Major increase in left side sciatic pain

I had a two level fusion surgery (L4-S1) on 1/8/16. I've been diligently following doc's orders as far as the physical exercise I'm permitted to be doing at this stage (read: walking! ). Since late Sun night/ Mon morning, I have been experiencing absolutely excruciating pain which radiates from my left buttock down to the left foot. It is worse than what I was going through prior to the surgery! Even though I am on quite the post-op regimen of pain meds including valium for spasms, these medications are barely touching the pain, and I am back to the pre-surgery status of pain waking me up throughout the night. Is this simply a normal aspect of the recovery process? Trying not to be a wimp or unnecessarily worried about this, but WOW. .that pain is beyond eye-opening!
Kimmy72, Spine-health Moderator
Firm believer in PMA!

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,856
    when it comes to spinal surgery recovery. Everything takes time.

Take a look at: Recovery, the most important phase of spinal surgery

It is really not that uncommon to experience some of the pain you have, especially so soon after surgery. Many people find total relief directly after surgery, then they go through post surgical pain recovery and then the actual recovery starts. Reading my thread, you will see that there are many ups and downs during this process. If there was one word I could communicate, it would be Patience
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Is not only appreciatrd, but you described in exact detail my immediate post-surgical experience--ZERO sciatic pain til just a few days ago...the return of that familiar demon was giving my worries a bit of a stir, but the fact that you could describe my pain process so accurately not only indicates that it's normal, but helps to replace worry with relief. I am going to check out the link...thank you SO much!
    Kimmy72, Spine-health Moderator
    Firm believer in PMA!