Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

MRI report of the thoracic spine

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Upper Back Pain, Thoracic
Hi all.
I hope this day finds you well.
Here is the report of my thoracic region.
This is what is causing my pain and my walking issues.

AT T/1-T/2 there is a large central and left paracentral disc protrusion identified causing severe compression upon the ventral margin of the thecal sac as well as mild spinal cord compression.

T/3-T/4 there is a small left paracentral disc protrusion identified.

T/5-T/6 there is a moderate right paracentral disc protrusion identified causing moderate compression up on the ventral margin of the thecal sac.

T/6-T/7 small right paracentral disc protrusion.

T/7-T/8 moderate right lateral disc protrusion

T/11-T/12 small posterior disc bulge

T/12-L/1 moderate right paracentral disc protrusion

There is diffuse degenerative disc disease w/ anterior osteophytes.

calcified right disc protrusion. aortic atherosclerotic calcifications. numerous retroperitoneal phleboliths.

IMPRESSION: Large central and left paracentral protrusion T1-T2 with mild spinal cord compression slightly worsened since previous exam.

Will find out my fate on the 29th. Of what needs to be done.
My walking has gotten worse.
The squeezing sharp, dull pain is not letting up.
My primary did give me Tylenol 3, valium and soma now 4x's a day instead of 2. So hopefully I can stay comfy for a little bit. Or try to be anyway.

I do not expect anyone to understand or come to a conclusion of these findings. I pretty much can understand them on my own. I just listed this to let everyone know what they found & what is causing all my walking & leg pain issues.

My CT scan is listed under Back surgery of my lumbar fusion.

Thanks for listening all!!!!!!
Terri :)

Ron: Any personal input would be awesome since I know you have major issues w/ the thoracic spine.

• I don't know enough to comment on your MRI but it looks like there are plenty of problems. I hope that you will post again when your doctor explains this to you and determines your course of treatment. From what I have read on this site it doesn't sound like the doctors like to do too much with the thoracic spine.

• Thanks skippy for your comment. Just writing means enough to me.
    No your right I went to a thoracic surgeon in 06. Ortho wanted surgery he did not. But at that time there was no issue with walking and my legs.
    Now I am to the point of not walking more then 5 minutes. I get very severe pain starting in my hips down to my ankles.
    I freeze up , cry and have to stop. When I go to put my legs up to rest they get numb and tingly.
    So that was one of the major concerns with the ortho. Once it starts effecting the motorskills or bowel its time.
    Not a surgery I want or would want for anyone.
    But its putting a hold on life. Can't go on any extended trips that have walking. Kinda stinks at my age and with a 12 yr old still here :(
    But will post after the drs appt.
    Kinda scary :?
    Thanks again I hope you are well.
  • I have a lateral protrusion disk herniation on my T7 Vertebrae, and surgery appears to be my only answer.Very painful. I hope things go well. Plenty of ice! :)
  • i will post here to again.
    no surgery for the thoracic to tricky.
    i am though not fused from my lumbar fusion from 07. so that is being redone next month.
    he said its possible that is why my legs hurt so much. but we will not know till the surgery is done and i am recovering.
    one good thing the thoracic pain has eased up. so yippe on that one. lots of rest and heat did the trick for that for now.
    not a surgery i wanted anyway :jawdrop:

thanks for writing!!!!!! :)
  • Hey Terri,

Welcome to my world. I have chased the thoracic operation for three years. Finally a no go. I need T4 to T11 and like you way to risky. This past week I have been in alot of pain so once again I'm in bed and feeling like a loser. So be it next week will be better after I rest. I really hate the flares.

I have a WC trial in Sept. as well as SS, because of the new ruling in June by the Supreme Court I have to look for work. :O Are you kidding me. Who will give me a job. But I have to prove no one will hire me. The proof is no longer with the doc. What a load of crap. I'm going to make a new thread and see if this is happening to anyone else. I don't want to waste the interviews time.

I hope you get some pain free days. Where do you live? We should be friends I would love to have a friend that is a gimp like me. LOL

Talk to ya soon, Lois :H
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,859
    I wonder how many of us Thoracic disk sufferers have gone through this?
    Will Surgery Help?
    Do you want Thoracic surgery?
    Will your doctors do it?

I am all bent on doing whatever I can to avoid any thoracic surgery. Also helps that my doctors feel the same way
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • sorry ron just saw this as i have been concentrating on my revision of the lumbar surgery.

dr said at the appt. he still does not want to touch it.
    and that is still the HUGE question will it help??? no answer for that one as in most surgery. do i want the surgery?? NO
    inavasive surgery POSSIBLE

we r going to go ahead and see if the non fusion is causing the issue w/ my legs. i am uncertain of this as the pain in my ankles started when i fell and before the 1st surgery.

if this does not cure some of it, then we are heading to the drs again (thoracic spine dr NS) not the OS and see his opinion again.
    im down to having to use a walker to go anywhere.
    to me the non-fusion should not be causing this issue (my opinion only) especially both legs from the hips down.

NUMBER 2. option this could be caused by aortic calcification.

so the saga will continue.....

the walking is getting worse everyday.

8} 8} 8} 8}
  • Wow, what can I say that is appropriate. I hope you get this all worked out soon and it is the lessor of the evils!