Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

My Recovery

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Well, I thought since I am doing so well that I would tell you about my recovery. I had a 1 lvl. L5-S1 360 fusion on June 19th. I was in the hospital for 2 days. I spent the next week in bed and slowly started getting up and walking around. I can walk about 1/2 mile now. I might be able to walk more, but I really do not want to jeopardize my recovery. I am doing very very well. I am doing much better then I ever antisipated. My back doesn't hurt. Thats the first time in 15 years! 15 long years!!! I am only a month out so I hope everything stays the way it is, but if I keep doing as the NS said I believe I will do very well. I have to stop myself from doing too much because I feel so good. I did have an internal stitch that sneeked out and almost gave me an infection, but I caught it in time and it is about 80% healed. Not to jinx myself, but I'd say that I am a success story. I know that it may not be a complete fix in the long run because of my age. I am only 31yrs. old and my NS predicts that I will have problems with my other levels above and below the fusion, but for now I am going to live my life to it's fullest. I haven't been able to do that in a very long time and I will appreciate every pain-free moment that I have. If I have one or two years of quality life before the other levels start to bother me it will still be the best decision that I made and it is worth every penny.

I wish you all the success that I have had and thank everyone for being there when I needed them.

With Love,

• Enjoy your pain free-ness. (is that a word?)

• That is really wonderful! Your surgery was much more radical than mine, so please do take it slowly. I know the feeling of finally living "pain-free" is such a relief, but be careful you don't end up back where you started.

I wish you continued success!
  • I'm so glad your doing that well!
    I am still having a lot of back and leg pain. Not as much on some days, and can get really bad on others. I am hoping that as I progress it will get better.

Thanks for sharing the good news.
  • Thanks for sharing Jessica.

• Anna, How far out from your surgery are you?
  • That's amazing news. I'm so happy for you :)

• I am so happy to hear so many positive stories from our members! Do take baby steps, though. No matter how good you feel - even if you feel like you did before all this crap happened to you, TAKE IT ONE DAY and ONE SMALL VICTORY AT A TIME. If you try to be the way you were before, you run the risk of un-doing everything.

One last thing - I think "pain-free-ness" should definitely be a word! Hopefully, Jessica, this will be your new motto!

Congratulations some more!

• Jessica congratulations on your successful surgery and recovery. It sure is a great feeling to wake up each day knowing that you can get through the day without back pain, or without significant back pain.

Keep up the great work but remember not to overdo things, especially at this early stage :)
    Keep positive!

...an old timer here and ex-moderator

• Thanks for sharing with us Jessica,
    I love reading the success stories here and there are so many when we look for them.

Blessings Sara
  • So glad to read about your recovery Jessica. Sounds like you are doing just great. Imagine that, after 15 years of suffering to be suddenly pain free! Isn't medical science great, or what? Now the important thing is, that regardless how well you feel, remember that you are just recovering from major surgery, so take very good care of yourself. Just don't overdo it, and follow instructions to a tee.

As far as future surgeries, don't even think about it. Doctors tell that to all patients (maybe to cover their butts?) but in 15 or so years there could be a lot of medical advances. So let's not waist our energies worry about that, let's concentrate on the present. And right now, Jessica, you present looks GREAT!!

Hugs from one of your fusion sisters,

• I am so glad to hear you are now pain free and a speedy recovery too! Please continue to let us know how you are doing.
  • I'm so glad to hear that your surgery was a success. 15 years of pain is alot and would sure wear me down. Take good care of yourself but get out there and enjoy!! How exciting!
  • Enjoy your life. I am so glad that you are out of pain.
  • I wish all my success on all of you! And if it wasn't for all of you I might not be doing as well. There is so much life expierence here that no doctor could tell you everything you get here. So Thank You!

Crash21- Just a little note here too, I am doing this well and I didn't have a brace. Ask you doc about that one!!!
  • Hey Jessica,

Good for you! That is so awesome.
    I wish you the best and take time to enjoy your new found "Pain Free" Freedom.

Life is meant to be enjoyed. Get out, walk, smile and laugh.

Good for you...

• Yahoo!!!

Love to hear it!!

I'm on my way to following in your sensible footsteps towards being a sucess story too!

I just feel bad that it took 15 years of pain to get there - on the upside, I do love your take advantage - live life - enjoy each moment attitude!