Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

new to fibro

traterttrater Posts: 288
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Fibromyalgia
Hello all~
I am new to posting in the fibro section, although not new to the forum. I am usually on the chronic pain and pain medication postings. i have just learned that I have fibro and I'm feeling majorly depressed about it. I had an scs implanted in March for back and leg problems and while it has given me some much needed relief, new problems began popping up. When I went to see my PCP, he confirmed the fibro DX. At first, I was a bit relieved to be able to put a finger on what the problem was, but after letting it sink way in, I didn't feel relieved any more. I just feel... hopeless! I know that being down in the dumps about it isn't going to help me out any, but I can't seem to pull out of it. On top of the fibro, my doc diagnosed me with high blood pressure and high cholesterol and put me on meds for both. That stinks! It seems like a never ending cycle of poop. I'm wondering, is this how you guys felt when diagnosed or am I just being overly dramatic? ">image

• I was totally relieved and actually to some degree happy. I guess it was b/c finally I had a name for what was wrong. I've known for quite a while that i was sick and something just wasn't right, but I had a hard time describing the pain. Finally I got diagnosed about a month ago. I am feeling really down b/c I am so sick of the pain. You're right...I like your comment about neverending poop! I worked 10 hours last Wednesday and it put me in a bad pain mess. My muscles are all screwy now. I have been so close to tears and I have such mixed feelings from so many people on it!

Anyway, I am sorry you feel down. I don't know what kind of education you have on it, but right now I am seeing a PT to learn good exercises and to build my muscles up too. As much as exercise hurts, the effects afterward is what counts. I feel so much better after I do my exercises from the PT. Be really careful about not overdoing it too. It will be hard to find the balance. I pretty much diagnosed myself with the fibro, but I didn't know how to treat myself. Now that I KNOW what's wrong, it's a whole other ball game balancing the right amount of activity so you aren't wiped out. It's pretty much a balancing act. I kind of budget my time. For example, on Tuesdays I have PT, but after that I usually come home and rest/chill out b/c I KNOW on Wednesdays my day at work is very physical and I am usually wiped out by the end of the day. So if I just manage the times I am doing physical stuff, I can make it through.

Even during the day I budget the day. IF I know I am going to walk a lot, then I slow down. It's kind of a balancing act, but you will feel better soon!

Sorry, this didn't intend on being a book, but I know how you feel and wanted to give you a few pointers! :)
  • Thanks for commenting back about this. I am so frustrated about it. I think something that adds to it is that when I tried talking to my husband, he questions me, like 'why would you think this is what is going on with you?' OK, look at the list of symptoms and look how many of them pertain to me... I know that he doesn't want it to be true, but unfortunately, there it is. It makes me feel like he doesn't believe me. I know how upsetting it is that I have these medical issues, but I'm not asking for it.
    Oh well... Sorry for the rant. Just having a tough day!
    Have a good night!
  • So sorry you got this DX.
    It is so very hard for yourself and family members to accept the fact.
    But remember you always will not feel crappy.
    You will have days, weeks even months without any symptoms.
    Just watch your diet. Your vitamn intake and make sure to keep up with a rheumotolgist to figure out what treatment is best for you. There are so many out there. From medications to natural treatments.
    We are here anytime you want to rant/scream/cry/laugh.
    We all know what your going through each and every day.

Lot of hugs
    Terri :) :)
  • I am taking Lyrica200x3 and generic robaxin750mgx3 and cymbalta120mgx1 daily for my fibromyalgia. I also have alot of other medical problems with alot of other meds. Yes it is very hard to know that there is no cure to fibro. We will have our good days and we will have our bad days. The best way to face this is to face it straight on. I was put in a wheelchair and walker July9th by my physician. I have severe fibro and osteoporosis. doc says if I fall my bones will break like twigs. if anyone wants to talk let me know. I am here for anyone if they wish too. email me. angelbaby0580@yahoo.com
  • According to 2 of my docs I have fibro too, secondary to injuries and resulting osteoarthritis, spurs, etc. Just wanted to say HI. I injured my low back on the job way back in 1988 (RN...lifting patients) had a PLIF L5-S1, pushed myself and went back to PT work....was a trooper in spite of pain til I got rear ended and hurt my neck and upper back in 1999..then went through a nasty lawsuit and needed surgery ACDIF C5-6 with pins and screws. I had a big bone spur by then. It took 2 years and a whole lot out of me. I was in so much pain by then! so anxious, panic attacks really. I think thats when the fibro took hold but I didn't know it. I wasn't formally diagnosed til last year when I fainted (I guess) from adrenal and general fatigue/exhaustion...we had moved cross country. I knew I was wore out but didn't realize how much! Pain just takes so much out of us....:(

When I fell,I hit my head and suffered a brain injury which has ended my career. My new docs ran labs and said I had fibro and wow I was malnourished, and sick, low B12, lots of troubles. I have fallen again this spring after a bout with the flu and flared up my spine everywhere and possibly reinjured something else so will be evaluated next week by a PM doc..haven't seen one in 8 yrs.

Meds now: Lyrica, Synthroid, Xanax prn, Arthritis Tylenol,
    Lunesta, Valium, Melatonin at bedtime

I feel things worst when the weather changes and get depressed because the pain is so bad and i have no recourse. I also have a hard time on my good days because I tend to overdo and get things done that need doing.

Because of my brain injury I cannot take my Tramadol or my antidepressant I used to take..those used to help me. Hopefully my new PM can work with my other docs and give me some relief.

Biggest fear:i hope I havent broken any thing that needs more surgery. :(

Gentle Hugs to you all and good to be here.
  • :H It's nice to meet you! I'm so sorry that have had so many problems. I also hurt my back lifting patients bout ten and a half years ago. From the onset of the injury, it has progressively gotten worse and has taken me to a point that I hurt all the time. The change in weather always causes an increase in my pain, and it just makes me feel horrible. Like I just CAN'T get out of bed no matter what.Luckily I have an awesome husband that takes very good care of me, and doesn't expect much from me any more. When I do feel like doing something, it's just a bonus! He's the greatest!
    I had a scs implanted in March and it has given me a lot of relief in my leg pain, but the back pain is still there. But, since the back pain is so much less, I do feel like I can do more.
    This other business with the fibro, I have SO MANY of the symptoms listed and it made things fall into place for me... why I feel the way I do, what causes it. I go to my PM doctor, who I think is the smartest man I know, and I will talk to him about all the symptoms I have and see what he says and what he thinks I should do next.
    Take care of yourself. I hope you feel better...
    God bless O:) O:)