Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Sternum graft

I just got a call back from my neurosurgeon's office setting up my pre-op appointment at the hospital (Monday) and since I had asked what kind of graft, I found out - it will be autologous, from the sternum. Apparently, the sternum has a good blood supply, so from that side I'm glad of it. But I was wondering how it feels in the post-op/healing stage. Anyone have experience with it?

(C5-6 fusion, in case that matters.)

Thanks. Linda

• SongJinSSongJin Arizona Posts: 259
    edited 01/22/2016 - 5:46 PM
    I haven't been through a fusion, so I can't comment about bone-graft pain, but I just think it's so weird that you had to ask for that information! As I've been going through my surgery consultation process (also for C5-6), I'm just astounded by how little people tell you about what they're actually planning to do to your body. Call me old-fashioned, but I'd say shaving some bone off my sternum is kind of a big deal--you'd think they would have told you that part up front without you having to ask about it!
  • Well, yeah. Physicians assistants and nurse practitioners tend to be much better about giving you info, but doctors? A few rare ones are good that way, but I've had so many that it was like pulling teeth. Heck, although I like this doctor (and was referred to him by a shoulder doctor that I trust to give me a good referral) that appointment last week he didn't even mention the word fusion! (It was in the paperwork they sent home with me.) Thank goodness I am good at research, and was able to get the office staff to give me more input.

Pretty sure the nurse I will see at the pre-op appointment will be fairly informative, too. (And I was surprised to find out they will be giving me an EKG, since I haven't had one in the last six months. (I never had that for my shoulder surgeries, which is why I was surprised. But then, maybe I'm either enough older or this is enough more major a surgery.)

Ah, well. In a little over a week, I will know. ;-)
  • In case anyone is pawing around for info - the surgery went well (was "boring" according to the surgeon; I think I prefer boring to exciting and treacherous!), and the graft location really wasn't a huge problem. I do feel some pain now with the other (shoulder and arm) pain quieter, but it really isn't bad. So life is good. :-)
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,427
    Very glad to hear how well you are doing post op!
    And I so agree, boring can be great!  :)
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• hvillshhvills Suzhou, ChinaPosts: 724

Hey Linda...

That is great to hear... boring is fabulous!!!! 

I'm going to have to remember that next time I talk to my doctor.

Hey doc.... "I want a boring surgery". :)

Harry - 63 year old male...
    PLIF L4-L5-S1 due to disc degeneration... May 23, 2013
    PLIF L5-S1 due to failed fusion and broken screw... Jan 19, 2015
    Microdiscectomy, decompression L3-L4 due to herniated disc... Jan 19, 2015
  • LOL

Come to think of it, a boring life sounds pretty good, too... :-)