I have a large herniation at L5/S1 and I've been in EXCRUCIATING pain with sciatica and all for 3 months now. When I went to the Ortho for the first time two weeks ago and he saw my MRI, he came in and said "Bad news, there's a fairly big herniation but you have two options, surgery or take the epidural and wait to see what happens, might help, might not."
At that time I rejected both and he gave me some Percocet, which if I didn't have it I'd be on the floor 24/7 rolling around and moaning in pain, no sleep, no food, no anything but constant debilitating pain. He gave me a referral for physical therapy but there's no way at this point that's going to help. In the meantime he told me to think about the options and now I decided on surgery. I can't take it anymore.
I haven't discussed this with the doc yet because it's Friday night and I have to wait until Monday. I know there's someone on here who's had a microdiscectomy/normal discectomy who'd be kind enough to respond.. So for now, those who have had one, how long did you have to wait to get the surgery? I really can't deal with this nomore.